BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone i have just bought some of this to try and remove a few scratches from the car, and it states on the bottle to be used with a machine polisher only. Just wanted to ask what would happen if i used it by hand?

Thanks james

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i dont know if i sould use it by hand now:confused might try a small area first and see how i get on. I have a silverline polisher but its bloody heavy. thanks all.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Lol i remember using a detailing spray that said machine polish only, 2 hours later i had done the bonnet lol, 3 hours later i had bought a machine polisher :p

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
i dont know if i sould use it by hand now:confused might try a small area first and see how i get on. I have a silverline polisher but its bloody heavy. thanks all.
If you've got a polisher already thats not the end of your worries, you still need to find a good pad combo :hihi

Try it by hand, whats the worst that can happen? If it dulls just apply some SRP over it until you've got time to machine it properly. Whats the cut rate on the medium cut cleaner? If its high you might need a finishing polish afterwards..

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Lol i remember using a detailing spray that said machine polish only, 2 hours later i had done the bonnet lol, 3 hours later i had bought a machine polisher :p
detailing spray by machine? Something fishy going on there mate. QD's are a conveincance thing and applying them by machine would defeat that, not to mention the spray drying up too quick..

·
Registered
25 Posts
detailing spray by machine? Something fishy going on there mate. QD's are a conveincance thing and applying them by machine would defeat that, not to mention the spray drying up too quick..
Well i wouldnt like to do it by hand and looked alot better polished off

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
its no 7 on the cut scale. used ultimate compound on some of the smaller scatches and had good results but need something bit more to get rid of the bigger ones. I could use it and then maybe use the ult comp after to get a better finish. cheers

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Meguiars Medium Cut Cleaner - 473ml - Machine Polishes - M0116 ap motorstore on ebay thats where i bought it from it was only 9 quid with postage. had a go by hand today and i can confirm its a no no. will get som megs pads and backing plate before i have a go.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Meguiars Medium Cut Cleaner - 473ml - Machine Polishes - M0116 ap motorstore on ebay thats where i bought it from it was only 9 quid with postage. had a go by hand today and i can confirm its a no no. will get som megs pads and backing plate before i have a go.
Thats the place, only 15mins drive from me and very very cheap :thumbsup

Have you got the swirl free polish (no82 IIRC) to finish it off with? cos a 7/10 cut rate is pretty harsh. What colour is your car?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
sapp balck . I used a little on the one of the scratches on the bonnet by hand and i was to affraid to go on :eek. like you said going to need a finishing compound to finish the job off.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Interesting it says to use with a rotary polisher and no mention of using a DA one. Wonder why...something to do with how the compound breaks down possibly?

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Interesting it says to use with a rotary polisher and no mention of using a DA one. Wonder why...something to do with how the compound breaks down possibly?
Diminishing abrasive's. I thought it was a gimmick but it works. With a DA it'll take hours to generate enough speed/heat to break them down properly, possibly marring the surface especially if its black :thumbsup

I used to like using the megs stuff because the way it spreads and it has a long working time but gone back to my old ways of using the 3m stuff..

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
sapp balck . I used a little on the one of the scratches on the bonnet by hand and i was to affraid to go on :eek. like you said going to need a finishing compound to finish the job off.
Because your cars black have you had a look into the 3m ultrafina SE - it'll remove the holograms/swirls and polish in one application

·
Registered
11 Posts
Diminishing abrasive's. I thought it was a gimmick but it works. With a DA it'll take hours to generate enough speed/heat to break them down properly, possibly marring the surface especially if its black :thumbsup

I used to like using the megs stuff because the way it spreads and it has a long working time but gone back to my old ways of using the 3m stuff..
That makes sense Sham :thumbsup. Btw, anyone seen this?

‪Rotary polish burn through on someones car‬‏ - YouTube

Fooking nutters :rofl

1 - 20 of 23 Posts