BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I just had a total turbo failure on my 2006 320d. Loud bang, and black smoke.

A couple of years ago i did a swirl flap delete on this car.

Now, the mechanic claims that this is why i had the turbo failure, and it had to do with turbo pressure fully open :confused

I dont believe it, but i have to check: Are these two things even remotely connected?

Thanks a lot!

Regards

Tommy

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
ha ha,,,canny garage,,feeding you bollox..black smoke does not sound like a broken turbo,,have you checked all boost hoses,,one may have blown off..black smooke is unburnt fuel,,you probably be getting white and grey/blue smoke with a turbo failure..

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Best way to save a lot of cash is to go to a better garage avoid that one like the plague.
Never seen unburned fuel come out as black smoke only seen it as white and it stinks of diesel.

·
Super Moderator
3,618 Posts
And like other have suggested a loud bang and black smoke would more likely indicate a boost leak usually caused by broken (or disconnected) boost hose or cracked intake manifold.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Best way to save a lot of cash is to go to a better garage avoid that one like the plague.
Never seen unburned fuel come out as black smoke only seen it as white and it stinks of diesel.
boost leak will give balck smoke,,too much fuel for not enough air

·
Registered
99 Posts
As above. Black smoke is a result of incomplete combustion. Too little air, too much fuel. Misfires too (but mostly petrol).

·
Registered
139 Posts
If you could get the intake system smoke checked you can find the leak easily. From the sounds of everything sounds like a charge pipe or something that holds boost has failed or just popped off. Loud bang. Sounds like a sudden failure to hold boosts and the black smoke is because it’s too rich. Incomplete combustion. Those are symptoms of a boost leak. It’s still putting the amount of fuel for boost that it’s not getting that’s why it’s rich less air and same fuel = rich mixture and incomplete combustion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts