BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Given that it turns out the Earth is older than a lot of us were originally taught at school. And that we are now told it heats up and then cools down with an ice age roughly each 80k to 100k years, then how much creedance do you give to MAN MADE global warming?

Of course the cycle of global warming exists. Anyone who thinks elsewise is probably still convinced the world is flat. But MAN MADE i'm not so sure?

Call me cynical but carbon trading and 'green' taxes? Are they not just good excuses to rob yet more money out of our hard earned pockets? Any thoughts people?

·
Registered
20 Posts
The world's climate is constantly changing...from the big changes like the planet wide Ice Age's to smaller regional changes like "it always snowed when I were a boy". The idea that we cause changes to our climate comes from our arrogance and belief that we are the best thing since sliced bread! We can contribute to climate change but how much has yet to be worked out..ie carbon gases accelerating the warm up of the earth's climate quicker than it would anyway. I suspect it to be very little.

And that is the point. The earth's climate is going through constant change as I said earlier, the change right now is to heat up. Another few hundred years and it will cool down again. To think that we can stop it is like trying to stop the tide coming in.

And yes, climate change is a great excuse for taxes, funding, quangos etc. I wonder how much shouting about climate change there would be if there was no money in it. Not too much I think!

Contrast the attention given by luvies to climate change and compare it to their efforts to stop pollution of our seas by Tesco bags, mountain Gorillas being wiped out by civil war in Africa, the decline of the Tiger in India etc. There is so much we could do for our planet other than trying to stop a natural change which happens regular as clockwork anyway. Makes me sick!

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Agree with you totally there:thumbsup I think we (humans) give ourselves to much credit for the changes that are being recorded. After all we've only been on earth for a tiny tiny amount compaired to the age of the earth.

·
Registered
781 Posts
We may or may not be responsible for Global warming, I'm sure that argument will rage on forever at scientific levels far above anyone here...................what we definitely ARE responsible for is pollution on a biblical scale.

In the millions of years this planet has been here, we're the first life form to walk its surface that has consumed its resources at an unsustainable rate. Until maybe the last 10 or 20 years we haven't really given any thought at all to the waste we generate and what we or our grand children / great grandchildren will do when it all goes tits up.

For instance, we only really started using oil on a grand scale in the last 100 years or so. In that 100 years we've used much of what took the preceding millions of years to form. Do you think it'll last another 100 years? No? Well what do we do next?

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
On a similar note, if insurance companies won't pay out due to an 'act of God' then that means they believe in god right?
So can I argue that they should bump my premium up for speeding because god made me do it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Its all bollox-anyone notice that its not called global warming anymore but its now "climate change" WTF.....The climate has been changing since the earth was born.....All because we had one extraordinarily hot summer in what 2001 now?

·
Registered
515 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
We may or may not be responsible for Global warming, I'm sure that argument will rage on forever at scientific levels far above anyone here...................what we definitely ARE responsible for is pollution on a biblical scale.

In the millions of years this planet has been here, we're the first life form to walk its surface that has consumed its resources at an unsustainable rate. Until maybe the last 10 or 20 years we haven't really given any thought at all to the waste we generate and what we or our grand children / great grandchildren will do when it all goes tits up.

For instance, we only really started using oil on a grand scale in the last 100 years or so. In that 100 years we've used much of what took the preceding millions of years to form. Do you think it'll last another 100 years? No? Well what do we do next?
This post is spot on. I read geography and physical geagraphy at university. We had climate changed rammed down our throat the whole time we were there. Most lecturers were for the idea that we are changing the climate but some were good and sceptical. The problem with the idea of climate change is that its a self perpetuating business for those involved with it. If it came to light that it was all a myth then how many people would lose their jobs...s**tloads. The quoted post above is good as it shouldn't be the warming that get s us it'll be the pollution that will get us. Land, water and air are all becoming polluted at an alarming rate.
The main thing to be worrying about in the next 50 - 250 years (if your planning on living that long) is conflict over water resources. Global popultaion is rapidly increasing and there is already a large amount of tension over regional fresh water reserves. More people + less water to go round = nuclear warfare (India v Pakistan) which is way more real and disturbing than 'climate change'. :thumbsup

1 - 14 of 14 Posts