BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm hoping some of you can point me in the right direction with regards to making my own website.
For starters, I'm completely new to this to don't be afraid to mention things you think might be fairly obvious :hihi
Ideas for the site are fairly simple, mainly somewhere to share my projects and hopefully give some handy advice like guides, buying tips, what to look for etc.
I registered a couple of domain names with 123reg a while ago just to make sure I had them. The next logical step to me is finding somewhere to host it, this seems to be where there is the most choice and therefore where you can get the best deal if you know what to look for...I don't. Can anyone suggest a good reliable host? What services they normally offer? and what I should look out for?
Next is the design of the actual page, I doubt I'd be able to master HTML but I've heard there are certain pieces of software that allow you to design your site fairly easily and then will convert it into HTML for you? Again, do these normally come in a package when you choose a host or do you have to buy them separately?

Any help much appreciated as I'd like to get started on it :thumbsup

·
Registered
172 Posts
namesco offer pretty good hosting packages - http://www.names.co.uk

if its project based, why not set it up as a blog? there are so many wordpress templates out there that you can still get some individuality out of it?

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys! uniQue, thanks for the advice in your PM, I shall be looking into what you said and probably asking lots of stupid questions :)
Btw Mowgs that link doesn't work for some reason.

I should be a bit clearer, when I say project I mean all my previous cars and of course my current BMW but I don't update things regularly enough for a blog. I'm looking for more of a home page with links at one side to either projects, guides, advice, videos; something that keeps the same format and is largely unchanged (I will of course update things as and when).

·
Registered
128 Posts
Using WordPress is still your best option all though it's 'blogging' software at heart it is extremely flexible and can be used to power every kind of site.

The main advantages are the free themes that are easily customisable as there built on html/css and the site is dynamic meaning you just login to your admin panel type out your article, add photos and click publish and it will appear straight away so there is no mucking around with editing html offline, having to create new pages, then edit old pages with the new pages locations etc and then uploading via ftp just to update your site.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Using WordPress is still your best option all though it's 'blogging' software at heart it is extremely flexible and can be used to power every kind of site.

The main advantages are the free themes that are easily customisable as there built on html/css and the site is dynamic meaning you just login to your admin panel type out your article, add photos and click publish and it will appear straight away so there is no mucking around with editing html offline, having to create new pages, then edit old pages with the new pages locations etc and then uploading via ftp just to update your site.
I'd 2nd that.

this little article has a nice explanation

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again guys, I really do appreciate all of this, although I need to let all this information digest for a bit before I understand it lol

With bluehost one of the features is 'Free Drag and Drop Site Builder', is that Wordpress? or will I have to download that separately?

As I say, I've got a couple of domain names, although the link mowgs posted look a bit better than 123reg who I used, so it's now a case of transferring that over to Bluehost. From what I gather, I don't have to but for simplicity I'd rather have everything in one place.

Apologies if any of this sounds a bit thick btw :embarrassed

·
Registered
128 Posts
you can keep your domains with 123 reg for now and move them out when it gets closer to renewing them. It's pretty simple with .co.uk domains you contact the company you want to transfer them too and they will give you there 'IPS Tag' you then contact 123 reg and ask them to change the IPS Tag and that's pretty much it. If it's an international domain ie .com/.net/org then you need an 'EPP Code' the good domain registrars let you automatically generate these. Don't worry about not knowing what IPS/EPP codes are as the registrars will know exactly what you need if you just say you want to transfer in/out

If you want to transfer them into bluehost it's pretty much the same process but someone on there live chat will talk you through it if you're having any problems.

Personally I like to keep my domains separate to my hosting as I transfer them around depending who is offering the best renewal fees at the time as managing a large portfolio of domains/sites can be expensive.

The free 'drag and drop site builder' is another option separate to WordPress, you don't have to download it as it's all done from within your Bluehost Control Panel.

Hopefully not putting you off with the random sounding words lol :thumbsup

·
Registered
172 Posts
I've never used bluehosts, but the demo looks really well set out. on the cPanel theres a section called software/services near the bottom. Theres a 1-click install for wordpress in there, seems to be well supported.

The second top tab (domain manager) has the facility to import your domain names to bluehost - looks like they don't take .co.uk's at the mo though.

·
Registered
128 Posts
They will let you transfer in .co.uk but you need to contact them via livechat and they will add the domains to your cPanel for you :)

Bluehost are excellent for sites that dont require either a VPS or dedicated server, there also recommended by WordPress:
http://wordpress.org/hosting/

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi guys, I'm hoping some of you can point me in the right direction with regards to making my own website.
For starters, I'm completely new to this to don't be afraid to mention things you think might be fairly obvious :hihi
Ideas for the site are fairly simple, mainly somewhere to share my projects and hopefully give some handy advice like guides, buying tips, what to look for etc.
I registered a couple of domain names with 123reg a while ago just to make sure I had them. The next logical step to me is finding somewhere to host it, this seems to be where there is the most choice and therefore where you can get the best deal if you know what to look for...I don't. Can anyone suggest a good reliable host? What services they normally offer? and what I should look out for?
Next is the design of the actual page, I doubt I'd be able to master HTML but I've heard there are certain pieces of software that allow you to design your site fairly easily and then will convert it into HTML for you? Again, do these normally come in a package when you choose a host or do you have to buy them separately?

Any help much appreciated as I'd like to get started on it :thumbsup
Try http://www.cleverhosting.co.uk/

Some good packages on offer there.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
My mate in work runs a webhosting and domain registration business..

www.eezee-web.co.uk

i'm sure I could arrange a discount for forum members if anyone was interested.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
...Hopefully not putting you off with the random sounding words lol :thumbsup
I'm glad you said that!

Bluehost are excellent for sites that dont require either a VPS or dedicated server
Where's that confused smilie...

Having just logged onto 123reg for the first time in a while, they're doing something quite annoying and constantly asking for my credit card details even though the domains aren't up for renewal for months :shifty:

Thanks for everyone elses replies here, see the link posted by bmwfan just confuses me really as I'm not sure how to compare the different offers and packages :hihi

·
Registered
16 Posts
I use www.lcn.com for hosting and domain name. as part of their offer you get serif webplus x2 for free. It's a really good wysiwyg type web design package and is really easy to use.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Can someone tell me what the difference is between transfering domain names, which I assume means moving them completely and then having nothing to do with where you purhcased them from
and
'Pointing'? (if that's what it's called) where you keep them where you bought them but can host them elsewhere?

What are the benefits/drawbacks of each?

·
Registered
128 Posts
you pretty much answered it yourself, you can buy domains from one place and hosting elsewhere then 'point' (change the nameservers to your hosting account) the domain to your web hosts nameservers or you can transfer your domain to either another domain registrar or to your hosting account but besides access from the same place there isn't any reason imo to do this.

The drawback of having domains with your hosting imo is it makes you more tied in, ie you need both your domain renewals up to date and your hosting access up to date.

If you have your domains elsewhere then all you need is to make sure they don't expire, so if you decide to change hosts then you just point your domains to the new nameservers and you don't have to transfer them as well.

There are no drawbacks of having your domains separate imo.

·
Registered
701 Posts
why not host your own website? all you need is a home server and a dns service like dyndns.
its totaly free and if you use a programme called komposer you can create all sorts of cool web pages.
http://steve147.dyndns.org
this is my website, im just learning html so its a bit basic but it works and its totaly free! :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
If your on Virgin Media, you get 55MB of free webspace which you can use for none commercial sites. Im not sure if other isp's have similair offers, you may find you have free webspace available to you already !
I use Dreamweaver to build sites, its a little more daunting than the basic software, but like anything, if you spend some time learning it, then you can do anything with it.
http://nikgnashers.no-ip.org
The no-ip is a free redirection service, which means you create your own website adress name, and then (on the no-ip site) tell it which 'real' adress you want the no-ip one to direct to (my virgin media free webspace adress is huge and nobody would remember it).
All no-ip asks is you click a link in an email to say you are still using it, every 60 days, its totally free...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts