BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have i hit the jackpot

am i correct in assuming the m57d30 engine does not have swirl flaps ?1998-2001 models

i have read in other forums that the flaps were designed on the m57tud30 engine .2002 onwards

my 2001 e46 330 d auto has a vin number of AH3646 and looking through the net has a M57D30 engine therefore No Flaps ?? is this correct i could be saving myself a packet ?? please help :thumbsup

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
this was the link i read

the tu engine had the introduction of swirl flaps on the inlet manifold.
this alters the route in which the air enters the engine at differant engine speeds, thus giving more power in parts of the rev range.
you may have heard of these on the 2 litre engine and the stories of them breaking of and entering the combustion chamber

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
Ive heard this as well. BUT ive also heard of them having them :confused
To be honest mate, i would have the manifold off to check and be 100%. Its not worth taking the chance IMO. I would risk the £90 to be 100% sure your engine will be safe.
Just my two pennies worth :D

·
Registered
20,393 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
This statement only applies to 204 BHP CONVERTIBLE e46 330cd's as these were produced with a manual gearbox.
Sorry for the mis-information guys...after reading Ronnie's post properly, seems that:

The early 330d 187bhp DO NOT have swirl flaps UNLESS it has an AUTO BOX.
The 330d 204bhp ALL have swirl flaps irrespective if manual or auto.

Remove them completely, blank them off *or* get a new manifold.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just blown a turbo smoke from back usual symtoms will be having looked at soon, i need to confirm if my 320d has this swirl flaps as could get this sorted at same time vin FY50430 Engine M47N manual gears
Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Just blown a turbo smoke from back usual symtoms will be having looked at soon, i need to confirm if my 320d has this swirl flaps as could get this sorted at same time vin FY50430 Engine M47N manual gears
Any help would be appreciated.
You have flaps, all M47N(150bhp) engines have flaps as said earlier :thumbsup

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.