BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm interested in the M50 Upgrade, but all I read is M50 manifold.
Does this mean Intake Manifold or Exhaust Manifold??

Plus what are the actually benefits (bhp, mpg etc) and what is the list of parts needed to complete it??

Cheers
Paul D.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
588 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
If you have a look at one of my threads there is alot of info in there, but here is some more..

Power gains with a free flow filter are in the region of 20 -25bhp, typically
giving around 218bhp on a 328 and around 193bhp on a 323.. Tests have shown that
this manifold will flow 275 cfm of air as opposed to the standard 185cfm!

Im assuming mpg will be significantly less, but who cares with that extra power ;)

If you want more info I can give you an email address of a bloke who makes the plug and play ones.. (simplest way IMO)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Ian, Mines a V plate 2000 model, i'm sure the 1999 was the first so that should be the early M52 unit shouldnt it?

Thanks Melly, I know alot of people in the trade and I'm sure I can get all the parts for next to nothing. Plus i'll get one of the lads to fit it them.
Funny enough I do actually care about MPG as I didnt buy the 330 for that reason. I've got a baby on the way so money is gonna be tight soon :-( hopefully it will stop me spendin to much wasted money on my cars lol

·
Registered
454 Posts
Funny enough I do actually care about MPG as I didnt buy the 330 for that reason. I've got a baby on the way so money is gonna be tight soon :-( hopefully it will stop me spendin to much wasted money on my cars lol

If your worried about the MPG then I wouldnt bother with the mod... After all you will burn loads of fuel putting your foot down to feel the benefit. If you want to save fuel you will drive more carefully.

Your fuel is going to increase and with a baby on the way, save your money instead of putting it into modifications..

Let alone paying for more fuel and maybe even more insurance!

I know for a fact doing this mod is going to cost me more money, you dont want to waste yours if you dont have to, if your watching the pennies..

·
Administrator
4,219 Posts
Hi Ian, Mines a V plate 2000 model, i'm sure the 1999 was the first so that should be the early M52 unit shouldnt it?
Hi Paul, yes your car has the M52 and not the M54. However, it's the M52TU (Technical update) which has double vanos so the manifold mod won't work.

Ian

·
Administrator
4,219 Posts
Sorry if the previous post sounded a bit blunt, I was at work. I also misread your car specs as the 328.

I am fairly sure that all E46's had the M52TU with double vanos, anyone care to confirm?

Looks like there is some experimentation with fitting the manifold from the 330 to the 328but it looks quite involved!

Ian

·
Registered
753 Posts
Sorry if the previous post sounded a bit blunt, I was at work. I also misread your car specs as the 328.

I am fairly sure that all E46's had the M52TU with double vanos, anyone care to confirm?

Looks like there is some experimentation with fitting the manifold from the 330 to the 328but it looks quite involved!

Ian
Yeah as far as i know all E46 323 and 328's were m52tu lumps. One of the writers in performance bmw had a 330 manifold and throttle body fitted to his e39 523 with gains of about 15 brake but set him back £1150, a tab more expensive than the old m50 trick on the early m52 lumps

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.