BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iv heard a lot about fitting m50 manifold to my m52 to release a little power, Iv also heard that a ready modified manifold is available? If so, where can i find one?

·
Administrator
4,221 Posts
IIRC the manifolds go for about £300. Google Alpina527 as that's the guy who sales the converted manfolds. If you get nowhere let me know and I'll PM you his email address.

Alternatively they do pop up for sale second hand, I know this as I currently have one for sale in the for sale section...

Ian

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dnt worry, iv found it. Can you tell me wat power gains you acheived? I know that you wont say you didnt as you are trying to sell one lol! But is the 20bhp claime actually possible?

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
dnt worry, iv found it. Can you tell me wat power gains you acheived? I know that you wont say you didnt as you are trying to sell one lol! But is the 20bhp claime actually possible?
Yes, especially if after you fit the inlet manifold and get a bigger bore throttle body you get a remap

·
Administrator
4,221 Posts
Lol. No worries, I didn't really want to point out I had one for sale in the tuning section but you did ask where to get one!

I never got round to fitting it to mine as my car was written off. I wouldn't have bought it if I thought the gains were unrealistic. There are literally hundreds of people who swear by this mod, both here and in the states. It's pretty much the first mod people recommend to get substantial gains from the M52. It's definitely the cheapest £/bhp mod you will do.

The 328 replaced the 325 which put out the same bhp. The story goes that the 328 was designed to produce more torque than the 325 but had to be restricted for German tax/insurance reasons. You know yourself that the 328 feels dead 5k rpm!

I have tried the BBTB on other cars in the past and wouldn't bother doing it again.

The other way of doing this mod is to diy it. You can pick up the mainfold for £60-100 and have a go yourself. Many people have managed this in the past but you need to be careful not to introduce air leaks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I already have an lsd and it definately is gr8 fun in the wet. It helped at brands hatch in november. Thats where i decided i wanted to loose the dieing feeling at 5k!

·
Bimmerforums Central
8,030 Posts
Its the same engine in my e39 528i so I can put an m50 manifold right? and is it the throttle body of the M50 bored out?
Yes I believe you can fit the M50 manifold to your engine/car :thumbsup

What do you mean about the throttle body? I am not 100% on what this mod entails but as far as I am aware the IM and Tb are both swapped.

Ian?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thanks Ronnie, I know I have the M52, not the TU engine, But in 2000 the car did have its short block replaced as it suffered from the nikisil problem. Is the difference between the M52 and M52TU not just the block?

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Thanks Ronnie, I know I have the M52, not the TU engine, But in 2000 the car did have its short block replaced as it suffered from the nikisil problem. Is the difference between the M52 and M52TU not just the block?
No, TU has dual vanos, the inlet ports are spaced differently IIRC also hence why the manifold won't fit

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.