BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys
could anyone measure a dipstick from a m42b18? (318is '95)
I mean the dipstick itself at least, and if you are so kind, the dipstick guide tube from the top to the oil pan...
I recently changed oil and filter, put 5l in it and the level on the dipstick is to high
guess that the previous owner swapped or modified the dipstick or the tube....
it will mean a lot to me
thank you

PS if you could measure it in CM or MM it would be great..I'm not used to inches...

·
5,890 Posts
Anyone help the poster?

·
5,890 Posts
hi guys
could anyone measure a dipstick from a m42b18? (318is '95)
I mean the dipstick itself at least, and if you are so kind, the dipstick guide tube from the top to the oil pan...
I recently changed oil and filter, put 5l in it and the level on the dipstick is to high
guess that the previous owner swapped or modified the dipstick or the tube....
it will mean a lot to me
thank you

PS if you could measure it in CM or MM it would be great..I'm not used to inches...
And 5L is the correct amount for your car,yes?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi I have a 1995 318i not 318is. Dont know if lenght are the same but here is my specs.

From neck to full (top) mark 485mm
from neck to empty (lower) mark 468mm

Oil capacity according to manual 318i is 4.5 liter and 320i/325i is 6.5 liter.

Check if sump unit is standard. I have read post somewhere if remember correctly that guys that lower the suspension fit a flatter sump unit to prevent hitting the road

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And 5L is the correct amount for your car,yes?
thanks for reply
at least 5L appears in Autodata

Hi I have a 1995 318i not 318is. Dont know if lenght are the same but here is my specs.

From neck to full (top) mark 485mm
from neck to empty (lower) mark 468mm

Oil capacity according to manual 318i is 4.5 liter and 320i/325i is 6.5 liter.

Check if sump unit is standard. I have read post somewhere if remember correctly that guys that lower the suspension fit a flatter sump unit to prevent hitting the road
thanks for reply
I'll check
the sump is stock for m42 engines..when I bought the car the suspension was stock (like the rest of the car) so no need for flatter sump

1 - 7 of 7 Posts