BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do the E30 and E36 318is share the same flywheel and clutch?
Got a new engine in the end for my E30 and will be sending the flywheel off for machining,getting it lightend and balanced and having the face skimmed.
Dont want to do that to it if they dont fit the gearbox or there's a lot of difference to them?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks but the M20 route is useless,the flywheel is lighter but the clutch is way heavier.
M42 clutch and fly weights the same as a M20 clutch and fly.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Thanks but the M20 route is useless,the flywheel is lighter but the clutch is way heavier.
M42 clutch and fly weights the same as a M20 clutch and fly.
That may be the case but can you machine a dual mass flywheel ;) (NO unless you are a cowboy)

Hence the conversion, you can get the M20 flywheel skimmed without any problems :thumbsup

M42 flywheel, 12.25 kg
clutch kit 5.61 kg

M20 flywheel 8.50 kg
clutch kit 7kg

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That may be the case but can you machine a dual mass flywheel ;) (NO unless you are a cowboy)

Hence the conversion, you can get the M20 flywheel skimmed without any problems :thumbsup

M42 flywheel, 12.25 kg
clutch kit 5.61 kg

M20 flywheel 8.50 kg
clutch kit 7kg
I know you cant do anything with DMF's,I used to work for dees of croydon working on worn out transits,changing failed ones all day long.
The E36 donkey thats sitting in my girlfriends garage looks like it has a solid flywheel. I thought all uk iS had a standard flywheels

Oliwally... Your back:thumbsup

:lol
Yes I am,had you been missing the pic lol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts