BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can somebody tell me comparable values of living with an e36 compared to an e46 m3, i tell you for why, this is my situation. i want a fappin fast car that i can run for around 6 months this summer, i have about £10,000 to spend and i need to know roughly what i'm gonna lose big on as i want to sell again to put a deposit down on a house. i'm lookin for tyre costs, brakes if it comes to it, and servicing. Any help is REALLY appreciated, thanks

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Personally I would rather have the E36 M3, spend a little on it and put the rest towards the house and keep the car.

If you want the house then you're going to have to make a sacrifice somewhere. Why not set a goal to buy the house and eventually own the E46 M3?:thumbsup

·
Registered
217 Posts
Ditto the above. If it's just fappin fast you're after, then the E36 wins in my books. I miss mine. :mad

E46 is faster (we're talking 10ths of a second here) but will cost more to run - parts, insurance etc.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Sounds like you just want a car to thrash for a few months, so here's how i see it;

E36's have dropped in value quite a bit, so they will budge very very little whereas the E46's are still decreasing in value.

Tyres will be more expensive on an E46 as they are 18"/19", especially the wider rear tyres. The E36 has 17" and will allow you greater choice of tyres across a wider budget range. As you want to threash one for 6 momths, you'll shred rear tyres VERY quickly.

Servicing, if done correctly according to schedule can be costly and to be honest will be much of a muchness between the E36 and E46 M3's, but as you're only keeping it for 6 months, buget in an Inspection I service as a guideline.

Fuel consumption again, i believe will be similar between the 2 cars.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Oh and this is the precise type of reason why I never consider cars owned for short periods of time :D

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
Hmmm, really difficult to advise. The previous comments I agree with 100%

Whatever you decide, there will always be a cost to hit you from the blindside. You do the maths, it all works out and you get a puncture which screws your budget, or something else.

I did the maths on mine, albeit mot an M3, but a personal financial stretch, and it has exceeded my cost expectations considerably, but heart has enjoyed the experience, the head just aches.

Thanks god the wife does not know half of it !!

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Thanks god the wife does not know half of it !!

Fancy bringing her to a meet sometime? I'll print this thread off :hihi

Oh BTW - hoping to have some luck tomorrow/Sunday, will let you know how we get on.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
She's insiting on the VW garages first and foremost. Fortunately we have 2 in Notts (thats I know of) that are relatively big with good stock levels, seen a few GTi's always standing tall on the front so provided they have sensible milage, 1 owner cars in good shape I can't see there being any issues other than haggling to get as much for the money as possible lol.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Cheers.

Going to bed now and going to polish the 120d again in the morning. Had a vert recent service @ BMW, I put a new set of tyres on for her a couple of months back, still like new, so that stands us in good shape as far as presenting a pristine trade in goes which the dealer should not be able to quibble over.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts