BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
I have spent days trawling forums etc trying to fault find this noise.
The trouble is I just bought the car and dont have anything to compare it too.
Its a 2002 325I and seems to have well known noisy tyres on it.
It has RUNWAY Enduros on the front and Sunny on the back.

The noise occurs from 10-30 MPH
It feels like a grinding sensation and is quite loud inside the car but I dont hear it outside the car.
The noise is still present regardless of acceleration or braking and in can be in gear or neutral.

I t has had new front disks and pads fitted to get it through its MOT back in July.
I believe the rear wheel bearings are on their way out but that noise doesnt kick in till over 40mph.

If I sit in Neutral and rev the car I dont get the noise.
To me this smacks of a bearing but a low speed and not high speed noise?
Also no knocking or cornering noises.

Surely not the tyres?
Are they really that loud? And wouldnt they be noisy outside the car like a landrover droning?

Help!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Mate
My old 318i sounded like the rear wheel bearings, turned out it was the old tyres, as for the grinding noise again my old 318i had a noise like grinding/rattling noise turned out to be the front brake shield plate had corroded and and was rubbing/rattling/grinding it got worse as you drove but not with revs.
Mark

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks
The front tyres are brand new by the look of them.
They are Runway Enduros and seem to well know for being noisy. if it is the tyres on the front Id better buy some ear defenders!!!!
Could tyres give a grinding type feel at low speeds? I say grinding but that type of vibration? Does that make sense?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts