BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Iv posted on this great forum before so I know someone out There will possibly save me. I have a 2002 3.0 ltr petrol x5, I had a spot of bother last year with an unhappy engine, new head now on and has been purring for a year now, no hickups or warning lights have come on until Monday, driving on the m62 at just over 65mph accelerated to 70 when message cluster said STOP LOW OIL PRESS, I'd been driving for about 45 mins in heavy traffic speed ranging from 40 to 60. No noises, no loss of power and no smoke. Pulled to hard shoulder then stopped the car, noticed the engine management came on as I stopped, got the reading of p0011, cam sensor. Dipped the oil to find it was just above low, not on the min line but in between the middle and low. Do know these engines drink oil so have been keeping an eye on the level every couple of months. Trip back home with green flag, garage looking at it after new year, car cranks over but I'm mindfull of lack of oil to the engine, could a bunged up oil pump in the sump be the suspect.?. Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Afternoon , I've found the problem for the oil pressure and I think it needs BMW to recall all vehicles with the same oil pump internals as the NUT FALLS OFF THE OIL PUMP SPROCKET. After a week of taking the bottom subframe off, and the drive shafts out, the steering rack pump off then the sump, to find a nut in the bottom of the oil sump shocked me��, This failure nearly ruined my engine and I'm glad I didn't run the engine after getting the dashboard signal saying STOP LOW OIL PRESS.
PLEASE, if any one is or has a suspect oil pressure problem, check the pump first.
Thank you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Iv seen it on YouTube but it's a yank 330 ci, same engine as my x5. My mechanical mate says it's a well known problem. All except myself!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts