BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I was driving a friend from work up to lift his Evo back from tuning and I heard the engine was tapping slightly. I wasn’t driving it hard along the motorway and was just cruising along. I then put my foot down and the noise got slightly louder until it sounded like the tool box from Home Alone crashing down the stairs. I immediately hit the hard shoulder and switched it off. Tried restarting it and nothing happened at all, wouldn’t even crank.

So switched it off completely and put the hazards on, they stayed on for about 20 seconds and went off, not sure if that’s normal but had to leave the car on for hazards to work.

Phoned recovery truck and couldn’t get the car out of park so had to get it dragged onto the flat bed. Got it back to the house and car started up but sounded horrible, like the world was about to end type noise. Had it on long enough to be able to drive it off the back of the truck and onto the driveway.
Thinking I need a new engine or refurbished engine, possible timing chain error or big end bearings are done. Anyone any advice on where to get it repaired and approx costs? Thinking about £4k which is crazy money but means engine will be like new again, well hopefully.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
You need to get it diagnosed properly as it sounds like you also have electrical issues if hazards do et stay on and you couldn’t get it out of park.
Also if they dragged on to flat bed without taking out of park that won’t have done box any good.
What age car and what engine is it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It’s 2010 car with the 306bhp engine. It’s the sound it’s making which is scary, I can get the car started and out of park but can’t keep it running for long because of the noise and starving the turbos of oil running it. Yeah couldn’t understand why it wouldn’t run the hazards with the car off, defo should stay on no matter what especially in an emergency, maybe I have to get out of the car and lock it for them to stay on??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Going to be spending 5-6k getting the new engine into it here and it’s gonna break my heart but can’t scrap the car as it is now and lose the value of it.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Hazards should always work so long as battery has power in it, locked/unlocked makes no difference so something not quite right there.

engine wise without seeing or hearing it I would hazard a guess you have suffered bottom failure causing loss of oil pressure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah sounds like car is a complete mess, getting quotes for the engine and being told potentially turbos could be gone as well and a donor engine would be a better option, same issue could happen again in 6 months and how much money do you throw at it to get it fixed? £4-5k, has anyone went through this previously that’s had a positive result?

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Yes I bought an e90 with a knackered n47 last Easter. Sounded awful when running. No4 big end shells disintegrated and worn con rod and crank.
Fitted new crank,rod and all shells,along with associated bits like chain kits,gaskets etc I had it running again for £700. But that’s sourcing parts and doing work myself.
it’s a tough one as you don’t know what the damage is yet so can’t really say how much you would be looking at to put right. If there’s not extensive damage a donor engine and Labour could work out more expensive than repairing yours.

·
Registered
2011 e93 320d
17 Posts
Less panic and more patience is what you need. Start writing down your options as they are suggested, with a list of the pros and cons associated. This problem won’t be easily fixed so you can afford to take a few days to develop your strategy. A good outcome will depend on a properly balanced beginning. Never leave philosophy out of BMW Mechanical problems.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Less panic and more patience is what you need. Start writing down your options as they are suggested, with a list of the pros and cons associated. This problem won’t be easily fixed so you can afford to take a few days to develop your strategy. A good outcome will depend on a properly balanced beginning. Never leave philosophy out of BMW Mechanical problems.
Unless you enjoy months of stress, disappointment, frustration and expense, auction it off NOW, and buy a low kms car. I once had a manual transmission clicking sound escalate into a bill exactly equal to the price of the car when new!!! Jim, owned over 30 cars over 60 years.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts