BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My, car never goes goes 55c, was going to change thermostat. Can I buy the thermostat without the housing?

Most part websites I've checked include the housing

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
If you have the n42m20a engine? Then it comes as a complete unit, but they are not expensive!
Could it be the temperature sensor? Have you a device that can physically measure the actual temperature of the coolant, like a thermometer or a temp sense gun?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry its an e90 320d with m47 engine. Obd app and hidden menu show the same reading. Never goes above 55c

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Ok, still the same. Your system OBD gets the info from its sensors. If you have an under reading (defective) sensor then it will tell the system what it is reading ( even if it is false)!
Is there a second thermostat in your system? EGR thermostat!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I posted in the wrong section 🤬🤬
Ok, still the same. Your system OBD gets the info from its sensors. If you have an under reading (defective) sensor then it will tell the system what it is reading ( even if it is false)!
Is there a second thermostat in your system? EGR thermostat!
Yeah there's a egr thermostat aswell.
If there was a defective sensor wouldn't it show a fault code on the obd code reader

·
Registered
60 Posts
many sensors dont throw any codes, would def try to replace the temp sensor first. Its not that expensive and much easier to change than thermostat.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Most likely the thermostat but you can test the EGR one .
Take it off and see if you can easily blow through it if you can it has failed.
Personally i would just change both but buy good branded ones or ever genuine not ecp cheap ones.
Also it comes with the housing you can't buy just the stat on it's own.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I've not heard about the temp sensors failing before, but both main and EGR thermostats are well known common failures. If the max temp is only 55c then that means both have failed and need changing. One symptom is poor fuel economy, car will do about 10mpg less than it should due to not getting upto correct temperature.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Most likely the thermostat but you can test the EGR one .
Take it off and see if you can easily blow through it if you can it has failed.
Personally i would just change both but buy good branded ones or ever genuine not ecp cheap ones.
Also it comes with the housing you can't buy just the stat on it's own.
Yeah 80euro from bmw, bilstein same price.
Nearest dealer is 60 miles away, roads are shite so 2 hours basically. Also in level 5 lockdown so can't travel.

Is febi bilstein a decent brand? Any other brand you'd recommend mate

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I've not heard about the temp sensors failing before, but both main and EGR thermostats are well known common failures. If the max temp is only 55c then that means both have failed and need changing. One symptom is poor fuel economy, car will do about 10mpg less than it should due to not getting upto correct temperature.
Yeah I'm only getting around 25mpg going to work which is 15 miles away and irish roads so constantly changing gears. Thanks mate

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I you have chance go for Wahler. I had several Febi cooling components. Not really impressed > leaking. Buf other parts of Febi are just like oem ( same brand).

·
Registered
420 Posts
It should get upto around 90c. Though being a diesel they can take a while to get there.
You have to take off the viscous fan and all that EGR piping nonsense to get at the main thermostat anyway so it's no extra work to change them both while you're in there and then at least you know they're both done. Fuel economy will be significantly better and the car will warm up quicker too.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I personally haven't had a problem when i have fitted Febi but i prefer Behr/Mahle if the price is right.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Li
I personally haven't had a problem when i have fitted Febi but i prefer Behr/Mahle if the price is right.
I'll see what's available on the Irish websites.
I used to order all my parts from the Uk but now with customs and paying extra charges not sure if its worth it

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Changed both today as its my only day off until next week, temp is now around 85c or some times a little higher.

Car seems to be running or I'm imagining it 🤣🤣

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
My e90 with the same engine runs at 90/92 but this time of year it takes a but longer to get warm.
If you just let it idle it will never get up to full temp you need to drive.
Give it a 15/20 mile run should get up to full temp.
And make sure you got all the air out when refilling the coolant.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts