BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new on here and in the market for a 330d (204bhp, 6 speed)/330ci sport, E46 model, on a £6000 budget (approx). Is there anything I should be looking out for, any issues or problems that need to be considered? Also, it will obviously have quite a few miles on it; are the engines fairly robust? (I hear the 320d is not so!)

Also, what are the servicing costs on average? I will not be doing many miles, approx 6-7K per year.

I’m stepping up from a Renault Clio Cup (5 years of ownership - starting to cost me!), as I’m looking for a car that is more refined but still fun and quick when required. I've been advised to go for the petrol version due to the low mileage but I still like the diesel.

Any help will be much appreciated!

Cheers

Garry

·
Registered
11 Posts
Welcome Gary :). Moving from Renault Clio...don't let G-man hear you say that or he will be on here like a shot with that Pappa/Nicol thing :hihi

On the older diesels, you may want to do a search and read about swirl flaps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Neal.

Have to say, the Clio has been ace, no matter what reputation comes with it!! It's a very capable car but it's time to get something a bit more refined.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've spotted a 330ci E46 for sale near where I live. £6400 - 75000 miles. Looks nice. I'll go and have a look at the weekend - really need a BMW asap!

I'm thinking the petrol might be the way forward.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Selling the Cup as it's starting to show it's age in terms of wear and tear. Typical French! The running costs are okay on the Cup and it's only done 37000 miles after 5 years, but everytime I need something sorted, another problem is found!

For example, just bought new discs all round, pads and front calipers and now the front spring is cracked. It's been lots of things like this for over a year now, so it's time I think!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Go for the 330d with a remap!!!... Loads of torque and fun to drive... would have a one of these over my engine after driving both!! Just my humble opinion!!!.. take both for a test drive and see what you think.. both brilliant!! :D

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
For what its worth, im a big fan of the 330d. I personally would choose that over the petrol. 200 bhp and 40mpg with shed loads of torque. :thumbsup
Drive both and see what you think.
Its the only Diesel i would ever choose over a petrol ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.