BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am considering a E91 on a 2008 it is a 2.0 320d Edition M Sport Touring with 73000 miles with auto box. The first year it was a BMW managers car with a load of extras added, oyster Dakota leather, electric front seats, driver memory, heated front seats, pano slide/tilt sunroof and 18” upgraded alloys.
It has 9 service stamps from an independent and the 70000 was main BMW dealer. Maintenance book has all the necessary ticks carried out at services. DVLA Mot checker has no advisories. I have heard so many bad things about the N47 engine which I believe this car has? Should I test drive it? Or just walk away? Any advice or help with my query would be much appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Sounds like it’s been well looked after which is the main thing with these engines, 70k isn’t massive mileage but you are getting to the point where it will need a timing chain being an n47. Don’t get me wrong they can fail at any mileage but the general consensus is if it gets to between 80 and 100k then get changed before it does have issues. Given age of the car I suspect it has probably been done at some point,fairly sure that was age range for the enhancement program. Not sure if there is a way to tell. Maybe call a dealer and ask them?
If it’s the right car at the right money and is in good condition the engine wouldn’t put me off,just have in back of your mind that you could have to shell out for timing chains.

and if you do buy it oil and filter change annually or 10k miles to keep chain happy,if it’s hit start/stop don’t use that either. Is it pre or post LCI as 2008 is right on change point

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I am considering a E91 on a 2008 it is a 2.0 320d Edition M Sport Touring with 73000 miles with auto box. The first year it was a BMW managers car with a load of extras added, oyster Dakota leather, electric front seats, driver memory, heated front seats, pano slide/tilt sunroof and 18” upgraded alloys.
It has 9 service stamps from an independent and the 70000 was main BMW dealer. Maintenance book has all the necessary ticks carried out at services. DVLA Mot checker has no advisories. I have heard so many bad things about the N47 engine which I believe this car has? Should I test drive it? Or just walk away? Any advice or help with my query would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Set aside 2k for a timing chain replacement. I’d also budget for brakes, tyres, proper wheel alignment, brake fluid change, a service and suspension related items.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts