BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, not sure if theres somewhere specific i should post this? i had a look and got confused, i dont internet well.

i'm having the juddering ABS/DSC/DTC issue that i now understand is as common as bmw 1s. took all four wheels off today and inspecte the ABS sensors and found that the front 2 are spotless, but the rear sensors both show signs of wear and were filthy! LOOK! . IMG_0196.jpg

the left side more so, and i could clearly see a polished bit on the ring itself so im fairly confident thats the issue.
has anyone done this themselves? on a driveway? and am i as well replacing both sides rings and sensors?
I have seen a couple of youtube videos of the drive shafts being removed to do the job and that seems tricky to me without a big lifty thing like at a garage. i only have a trolly jack and 2 axle stands ("jack stands"?).

any advice mch appreciated.

Cheers

·
Registered
134 Posts
I had the worn rear wheel sensor problem on my old E90 3 series, DTC, ABS etc warning lights come on the dash travelling above a certain speed and as it gets worse your car will start briefly cutting power to the engine too as it thinks one of the wheels is slipping really bad due to knackered sensor. If you turn off the traction control the car should drive ok for now until you get it fixed though, as mine did.

What I did was plug in diagnostics to find out which sensor it was then I ordered a replacement sensor off eBay for £20 and just fitted that. The sensor was badly worn (like yours) so the reluctor ring could have done with being changed too, but the new sensor was still working ok 9 months later when I part exchanged the car, so if you don't intend keeping the car much more than a year or so I would just try replacing the sensor as it's a lot quicker and easier than changing the rings which can be difficult to remove if corroded badly. If you plan on keeping it for many more years though you'll probably need to change the rear reluctor rings or change the sensor more than once.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts