BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy a nice e34 5 Series 525i, and to ensure I don't buy a lemon I thought it best to join the forum and do my homework.

Any buying advice on common faults, dirty seller tricks, and where to find a good one would be most welcome.

Also, can anyone tell me how to decipher an e34 ID plate in terms of what the various codes and serial numbers mean? I'd like to buy a genuine unmodified car as a keeper so it would be useful to have a specification list of the various options and associated codes which should appear on the vehicle ID plates.

Thanks for reading :thumbsup

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
post 1990 24v engines are best check it drives and stops in a straight line check for suspension knocks and rust-good ones are hard to find now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
post 1990 24v engines are best check it drives and stops in a straight line check for suspension knocks and rust-good ones are hard to find now.
Thanks buddy. Where's the best place to search for one. Checking the usual places daily car and classic, pistonheads, autotrader, exchange and mart, ebay, gum tree - any sites or forums with bimmer classified ads?

·
Registered
30 Posts
E34's are commanding higher prices and they are "on the rise" £1500-£2000 should find you a clean one with history but it's buy on condition more than anything.

The M50b25 is the better engine to go for and are to a greater extent bullet proof, rot in sills is the main issue

often tired interior/poverty spec means less likely well looked after and maintained

if you can spring for the V8 they are excellent if a little thirsty

auto boxes going into limp mode can be an issue related to needing oil change (meant to be sealed for life :hihi) but you will find replacement boxes around for a few hundred

other than that collapsing rear springs and front suspension bushes which are cheap and easy to replace

good hunting, hope you find a good example of one of the finest cars ever made

1 - 5 of 5 Posts