BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, I'm looking for my first BMW, a 330D. I see that the 320Ds have had some problems with turbo failure and wondered if the 330's were as bad?

Is the 203 bhp car really worth the extra over a 183 and how do they respond to chip tuning? - I know they can be made to go better but how long do they last :silly

I used to have an Alfa 156 2.4 JTD which was a lovely torquey engine and gave up an extra 50 bhp with good chip tuning and never gave me any trouble. A lovely car but unfortunately wrong wheel drive...

Finally at what mileage do (expensive) things start going wrong!

Any advice welcomed - many thanks:chat

·
Bimmerforums Central
8,030 Posts
Hi folks, I'm looking for my first BMW, a 330D. I see that the 320Ds have had some problems with turbo failure and wondered if the 330's were as bad?

Is the 203 bhp car really worth the extra over a 183 and how do they respond to chip tuning? - I know they can be made to go better but how long do they last :silly

I used to have an Alfa 156 2.4 JTD which was a lovely torquey engine and gave up an extra 50 bhp with good chip tuning and never gave me any trouble. A lovely car but unfortunately wrong wheel drive...

Finally at what mileage do (expensive) things start going wrong!

Any advice welcomed - many thanks:chat
Hi there

The 330D is a milestone of a diesel engined car for BMW...it luckily does not suffer from the same turbo failure issues as the 320d does (and we see a lot of posters with that problem on here)

If you have the extra cash then if it was me I would definately go with the 330D.....If not then a 2003 plate 320D and upwards have the turbo failure problem solved and do not seem to suffer from it.

With regards to remapping/chiptuning,
the 330D responds stunningly well to a professionally done custom remap and I have heard figures of 550nm (newton metres) of Torque for remapped stock 330Ds!! (I think the new M5 is only about 600nm)

In a head to head against an E46 M3...a remapped 330D was neck and neck with it all the way up to about 80mph when the M3 started to pull away due to its revvier nature.

The running costs for a 330D will obvisouly be more than a 320D, but not by a huge amount unless you thrash it everywhere!

Engine and car life wise....BMWs are very over engineered to be honest and they happily handle the increase in power with no ill effects..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent news :)

Thanks for the info, I lust need to find the right one now...

There's a 2003 330D SE on ebay atm with no bids at £6.5K - but it's a cat D - do you reckon that looks cheap enough considering it's on the register - or should I get down to the auctions?

·
Bimmerforums Central
8,030 Posts
Excellent news :)

Thanks for the info, I lust need to find the right one now...

There's a 2003 330D SE on ebay atm with no bids at £6.5K - but it's a cat D - do you reckon that looks cheap enough considering it's on the register - or should I get down to the auctions?
I would avoid it without question.....
and I would also avoid auction cars to be honest unless its to sell on....!

The best place in my experience is pistonheads and autotrader...

how about this one

2004 330D sport on pistoneheads at £7200

:thumbsup

and theres loads more

Here

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've no experience of cat D cars - but never had a problem with good quality auction stock.

Thanks for the link - looks like a possibility.

·
Bimmerforums Central
8,030 Posts
I've no experience of cat D cars - but never had a problem with good quality auction stock.

Thanks for the link - looks like a possibility.
Agreed.
If youve bought cat Ds before and know what your looking for, you can get a bargain :thumbsup

I was talking from the viewpoint of advising 'your average man in the street' who is not auction hardened :hihi

Post the ebay link and I will take a look if your keen on it :thumbsup

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1 - 7 of 7 Posts