BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there

Just wondering, do any of you leave things plugged into your cars overnight or for a few hours when the engine is off? I'm talking more about having a couple of dashcams plugged into the car while it is parked (one front one back!), y'know, just in case! I guess an hour at the supermarket is fine, but what do you guys think about overnight? Paranoid i know... but still!

·
Registered
363 Posts
If they are connected via the 12v that powers the cigarette lighter socket, mine loses power once ignition is off so should have no effect at all as far as power loss is concerned. You may be opening yourself up to a couple of broken windows and no dashcams however if you leave them in....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If they are connected via the 12v that powers the cigarette lighter socket, mine loses power once ignition is off so should have no effect at all as far as power loss is concerned. You may be opening yourself up to a couple of broken windows and no dashcams however if you leave them in....
lol true

i know a 5 series ain't no aston martin, but i just think of that recent case that was reported in the news when that guy keyed someone's Aston and luckily he had a camera inside recording!!

·
Registered
666 Posts
I always leave my Dashcam fitted. I could never be bothered with the hassle of plugging things in and sticking things with suction mounts and such.
I don't use the motion sensor often as you end up with hundreds of tiny video files but the internal battery is enough to keep it going for a while whilst power is off.

Mine is a Mobius though so it isn't like one of the mobile phone type dashcams which can be spotted a mile away.

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
As long as they're small enough to blend in with the normal bits and bobs and don't look too bleeding obvious - so not one of those big square ones with a big screen dangling down, should be fine, I leave a front and rear one plugged in all the time, I have had low battery warnings when it's been sub zero and not used the car for a few days, but generally seems fine, I have some piggy back fuse things which I'll hard wire in one day....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts