BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

LATE FIRST SERVICE for 520d 177bhp

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  JS 78 
#1 ·
All,

Looking at purchsing 57 plate 520d msport touring (177bhp).
Whilst it's had services at a main dealer, the first one wasn't carried out until 27,000 miles and approaching 3 years old. There is no paperwork showing an earlier oil change. I know that typically the interval is about 18k depending on driving style or max 2 years.

Is this something that I should avoid? The car has now covered 46,000 miles.

Any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks JS 78

#2 ·
I would try and check with BMW if it had an oil change that maybe wasn't listed, if no proof I would walk away. 27,000 to first service is far too long and is storing up a big bill waiting for next unsuspecting owner. Plenty of others around of similar vintage and mileage. Bear in mind also that the 520 is pushing a very heavy car so is working much harder, never seem to have much of a spec either as mostly company cars. Have you thought about a 530d, they are so much better and easier to get with a high spec.

#3 ·
Thanks petrolmarty for your advice which I will be taking. I have also found out that there is less chance of BMW making a financial contribution to a major mechanical fault if the servicing has not been on schedule. Someone else can have the big bill. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.