BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
1,871 Posts
The early ones weren't too good I believe. A pal of mine had one and has endless problems with it - engine, electrical and the wretched rear tailgate that ripped off the hinges!! The current/recent models seem OK from what I hear, but have no 1st hand experience.

I would avoid one of the older models unless well cheap or solid warranty? Lots of alternatives of course.......

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
They are crap. Everyone we look after has problems. They eat diffs, centre couplings, the sunroofs pack up and the headgaskets blow. They eat distributor caps every 5 mins...:frown
I wouldnt touch one with a 20ft barge pole.....:thumbsup

If you are after a small 4x4 much better off with a Rav4 or a CRV....:cool
They dont really go wrong if looked after.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Crv are perm 2wd with rear getting power inly when front starts to spin. I have always liked the look of the nissan x trails, drive nicely and have selectable 2 or 4 wd.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the only reason i ask is cos a good freind of mine has one, its done 4000 mile this year hes had it a couple of years now, he keeps it detailed so its imaculte there and hes now getting rid, he offered me a swap for my 330 plus money in my favour

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Again, I would avoid it tbh. My neighbour has one and apart from the little jobs I've done on it, it's been in the garage a couples of time after leaving him stranded. This is a car that does VERY few miles, I'm talking maybe a couple of thousand tops between MOTs.
I wouldn't trade a 330 in for one that's for sure, no matter how much money came my way in the deal.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I`ve got a company 54 plated TD4 commercial . I do approx 500 miles a week & it`s now done 145000 miles . overall it is what it is . Sure it`s got build quality issues but it hasn`t been better or worse than any other vehicle . It`s good on fuel , got good road manners , excellent on the motorway and has been fantasic in the adverse weather and light but regular off road use . But the big question is would I buy one myself ...............would I hell , there`s better things out there for the money .:thumbsup

·
Registered
22 Posts
AVOID AVOID AVOID!!!!!

They are shite mate .... riddled with electrical problems, tailgate window drop motors are a constant failure and cost a fair bit to replace (motor drops window by 1/2" or so to allow tailgate to open) and the diffs and transfer boxes are weak :eek

I used to be a big Landy man and can tell you that the freelanders were nothing but trouble and all gaylander owners were openly ridiculed on the Landy forums for making such a bad choice in cars lol :rofl:silly

·
Registered
567 Posts
thanks for your comments, what i suspected really, i was gonna give it the wife and have her focus, maybe not though
really depends on weather or not you want a divorce:lol freelanders are crap. much better small 4x4's are available. nothing against land rover as such as ive owned range rovers and they are the best. but avoid the freelander mate.:thumbsup

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
we're looking at adding a 4x4 to the stable this year as well.. at first we were looking at Toureg's and X5's - but have both decided that a Rav4 diesel would be a better option.. can't really find a bad review about them?

·
Registered
138 Posts
If it was a Freelander 2 then I would they're good. Had one for nearly 3 months when the RRS decided to have a nervous breakdown as a loan car. It was a better car than the RRS if I'm honest. More space inside (width) than RRS and on a trip to Somerset and back with it it was doing 36 mpg. I'd have the Freebie HSE over the RRS or D3 anyday.

Reactions: rumpleforeskin

·
Platinum BFuk Member
2,578 Posts
we have one at work and for what it is its alright,

quite a nice drive, goes off road alright although it does get pulled up hills by the defender or the mitzi however it was great in the snow

i think if i was spending my money on one tho i wouldnt get one and it is a bit ... gay

·
Registered
272 Posts
It's amazing how narrow minded you all seem to be about the Freelander. Yes they have had their problems, but look at all the posts on here for BMW problems, and not just one model, all models suffer some problem or another.
Over the years, I have had 3 Freelander 1's and currently have a Freelander 2 aswell as my BMW.
If you were going to go for a Freelander 1 then go for the Td4 models as these had the BMW 1991cc td engine fitted from 2001 onwards, the same engine fitted to the early e46 2 litre diesels. Yes problems were found with fiscous couplings and IRD's, but alot was due to poor maintenance or lack of.
The 1.8 petrol models had problems with head gasket failures.
Hope this helps you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Not a case of being narrow minded bud ..... speaking from bitter experience as a motor mechanic :silly

Wouldn't choose a Hippo if i was looking for a 4x4 ....... EVER!

·
Registered
884 Posts
I would be more than happy to own a freelander diesel.

Wouldnt be interested in the petrol version to be honest.

Better looking than all its rivals. Its the only small 4x4 that is cheap that doesnt look too feminine.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts