BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi can anyone help with this issue,

My car 1999 E46 323ci has been left on the drive since august last year and im now trying to get it back on the road again.

Here is the problem..

When I drive it I can hear a knocking sound, this sound is very even in timing and increases as I speed up the faster i go the more it knocks. The sound seems to be coming from the wheel/s when they rotate. When I brake I can feel the sound through the peddle if that makes any sense?

Could this be a caliper, brake pad or disc issue maybe?

It's nothing to do the the abs thats working fine.

Any help on this would be great as I need my car back on the road :)

P.s I wear hearing aids so I cant locate the sound PMSL

·
Registered
135 Posts
As the cars been off the road for over six months I would check the pads, callipers, and carrier brackets, they tend to rust up especially if there left outside over Winter when not being used. Also check the handbrake shoes and mechanisms are not seized up.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just4u, I think thats good advice i purchased new disc and pads for the front and rear plus handbrake shoes and fitting kit from GSF. I used the GSF discount code Forum40 and Saved £114 :jaw-dropping I'll report back here once everything is fitted.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Problem SOLVED.

I have now changed the front discs and pads the knocking noise has gone ? one of the discs was warped when i spun it by hand it was getting stuck "mega stuck" between the pads so this must of caused the knocking.

Just goes to show that leaving a car on the grass for months 8 months can cause such problems. Replaced the rears and handbrake shoes also for good measure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts