BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi iv jus changed my front pads on my e39 but I haven't changed the discs the problem is I now have grinding and knocking when driving can any one help!!!???

·
Registered
962 Posts
It shouldn't cause that sort of problem, are you sure you tightened everything up properly, didn't miss anything? Wheel nuts properly torqued?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi ya everythink is done up tight I can't fill anything tho the steering to suggest anything loose. Could the pads need to be bedded in to old discs? Thanks for reply

·
Registered
962 Posts
Might be worth taking a wheel off and having a look, see if the disc spins nicely by hand, and if they're contacting the lip of the disc.

How long have you given them to bed in? Did you lubricate where the pads contact the calipers / carriers?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wheel spins freely bit of grating on the pads, yh used copper grease on backs of pads and Iv just changed them 2day. If I brake hard everythink sounds normally if u know wot I mean lol. if I reverse and brake I get a clunk then drive forward I get a clunk it's like the pads are loose but on the sealed box it stats thay are for my car. Very frustrating :-(

·
Registered
3 Posts
i had it on my old car and it was a grove that the pads had wore into the disk and when the new pads were put on because they were flat it made a grinding noise like something wasnt set right but when i checked it it was the prtruding grove on the disk that the noise was coming from so i used a grinder on the lip and it went away then i replaced the disk just to be on the save side hope this helps

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
This often happens with cheaper pads, they're loose in the carrier (have a guess how I found out ;))

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for msg peps yh my discs have a little lip on them. Would the pads bed in wit this lip and would it be 2 late to change the discs and save the pads .thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts