BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Over the past couple a weeks a small thud or knock has occurred under braking and accelerating, most noticeable at about 20mph in stop/start traffic. You can hear it but also feel it through the left foot rest peddle. At first I thought it was something shifting back and forth in the boot but after clearing it out, it was still there.

I got under the car this morning and couldn't find anything loose such as the exhaust or heat shields, however while looking under the rear I did see the rear differential bush looks rather split, see the pictures below.
Do you think this could be the cause? Maybe the diff is moving about too much under load and the effects are travelling down the prop-shaft which is why I think I can feel it at my feet.

I'm no expert, so I'd be interested to hear any thoughts.

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

Thanks
Ed

The Car: E36 330i Coupé - Automatic - 155K miles

·
5,888 Posts
Those bushings look bad enough allright but they don't look completely torn.
Do you get a thump when engaging reverse gear?
Have you checked the rear trailing arm bushes?
I doubt the diff will move when braking but the trailing arm bushes can.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do indeed get a thump when engaging reverse... what does that indicate?

I did a quick look at the trailing arm bushes and they looked warn in general but not that bad I think.

·
5,888 Posts
Have you checked for subframe cracks?Just to rule that out.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I gave it a good look over and couldn't find any evidence, that was my first thought/worry.

·
5,888 Posts
The other things could be the propshaft guibo but that more to the front of the car and the propshaft center carrier which is middle of the car.
Is the accelerating thud also felt in the footrest?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, it's the same thud when accelerating and breaking. I couldn't get a good look at the props haft as it's behind the exhaust and hear shields.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts