BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, im looking to buy the means to do a drum conversion on a 318i E36. So that means the hubs, arms, calipers and discs. If anyone has these can they contact me please. They need to be from a car with ABS! Cheers. :thumbsup

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have to replace the wheel bearings anyway and i thnk the brakes are a worth while upgrade. Plus if you have a bigger engine in a car with brakes that cant handle it thats a danger. But cheers anyway.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I'm sure I've spoken with ronnie and/or RYM on another thread about this, and we came to the conclusion that the master cylinder is different, or there is a compensator valve somewhere in the system.

If you just wap discs on to the same plumbing as the drums you might find that the brakes are balanced dangerously to the rear (more so, if you don't understand why then perhaps not a good idea to try it)

Also, you'd need handbrake cables.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
I'm sure I've spoken with ronnie and/or RYM on another thread about this, and we came to the conclusion that the master cylinder is different, or there is a compensator valve somewhere in the system.

If you just wap discs on to the same plumbing as the drums you might find that the brakes are balanced dangerously to the rear (more so, if you don't understand why then perhaps not a good idea to try it)

Also, you'd need handbrake cables.
It was here http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f17/e36-316i-n-reg-help-needed-please-t4441/

I think the caliper pistons are that small that they cannot exert enough pressure to over brake the rear wheels.

·
Registered
426 Posts
It would need to be checked, as there is usually more force applied through the braking to the rear on a drum set up (as they don't offer the same braking force as a disc setup). Depends on the size of the pistons of course, as ronnie said.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the help guys, going to phone the scrappies tomorrow and see how much i can get the kit for. Just getting a tad annoyed (very annoyed) as i have just had a rear wheel bearing go for the 3rd time in less than a year, so im going to change the arms, so i thought i may aswell upgrade as i play on putting more power in later!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For future reference i had the conversion done and its amazing, no difference in brake bias and tracks straight and true. Wicked! Onto the engine!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.