BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,newbie here.ok recently bought a e46,320 diesel ,04 plate.key starts car but doesn't work central locking apparently I need a new fob,no signal coming from key,tried charging on toothbrush charger as seen on you tube videos, so I've got a second hand key for a fiver,obviously it ain't going to start the car,but I'd like it to work central locking,I've watched the various videos on how to pair with the car,but I'm worried about doing it as some people have mentioned in the comments that when pairing with car it will work central locking, but then the original key wont start the car,any advice would be greatly appreciated,

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot to say central locking works off key in door lock and also button inside car.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Don't be worried about following the videos on resyncing the fob you can't do any harm.
Also have a look for a video on changing the battery in the bmw diamond key not that hard to do if you have a soldering iron.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Don't be worried about following the videos on resyncing the fob you can't do any harm.
Also have a look for a video on changing the battery in the bmw diamond key not that hard to do if you have a soldering iron.
A few days ago I followed the various videos with both my original key which has worked fine for years and with my spare in which I had soldered a new battery. Despite trying the switch on/off and switch on/off five times followed by press unlock + press/release lock three times etc I now have an original key which no longer works apart from manual insertion and starting the car. The additional key doesn't work either. I've tried all variations 20 or 30 times including the "hold over your left shoulder" to get better connection and increase duration of presses etc.
Now I'd settle for just getting back to how it used to work before I followed the guides which seem to have worked for everyone else.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,point taken,will a second key pair if the main key isn't working,dont seem to be giving off a signal .I've done a basic test.previous owner says its fob not battery. Couldn't pair my second hand key when tried yesterday. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry to sound a bit thick but I still don't quite get it. Will a second key program if the main fob is faulty? Thanks

·
Registered
224 Posts
it is very easy to remove tiny components from the fob while you try to cut it open.
the other thing is possibly that the new batteries needs charging a bit before it is operational. a short drive 20-30mins will charge them enough to open/lock about 5 times, but fully charge can take up to 30 hours. some people on the internet managed to charge keys with electric toothbrush's induction charger. But thats also not advised as chargers designed for different voltages. The yellow non panasonic batteries are usually crap, stick with the VL2020.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Sorry to sound a bit thick but I still don't quite get it. Will a second key program if the main fob is faulty? Thanks
You have to do them at the same time after each other within a time window(30secs or something i cant remember). not separately.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Will a second key program if the main key as a faulty fob .a yes of no will do. thank you for your replies

·
Registered
224 Posts
yes
you have 2 keys. none of them main or second. do the process with one of the key 5 times ignition on off, and then do the sync and straight after that do the other key (you dont have to put the second into the ignition.)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks ,done the pairing about 20 times all different ways,still nothing,could the problem be something else?going to get a ancel bm700 code reader,hopefully that will tell me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Might try changing battery,just hope it pairs afterwords,my second hand key wont pair though that's what's confusing me.and its definitely working,that says to me possible module or something similar,thanks for the reply .

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Going to replace battery and take it from there, could someone please put a link up for the correct battery,will have a go at it myself,appreciate all the help,thanks everyone.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
panasonic vl2020 only dont waste time with the yellow ones. can you post closer pictures from both side of the pcb, ideally without any sticker covering the components.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts