BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

Just wondering - I have one of these 'keyless' ignition fobs for my bmw. I was given a spare which I have put away and haven't touched it for 3 months. But I am thinking: do I need to occasionally use it in the car to keep it charged up (?). I am assuming it has a battery inside (?), i.e. alternate the use of both?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Steve

·
Registered
23 Posts
They contain a rechargeable battery which DOES charge when its in the ignition. You don't need to be swapping them over. I use one all the time and keep the second for emergency use only.

I haven't touched my spare in over 9 months. If the battery has drained in it you can always use the key to open the door then insert the fob which will stop the alarm and recharge.

·
Registered
11 Posts
They contain a rechargeable battery which DOES charge when its in the ignition. You don't need to be swapping them over. I use one all the time and keep the second for emergency use only.

I haven't touched my spare in over 9 months. If the battery has drained in it you can always use the key to open the door then insert the fob which will stop the alarm and recharge.
What he said...:D

If you have comfort access, then the battery is not rechargable and will need to be replaced :thumbsup.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Related question...Ewan, did your Z4 come with a plastic key and key adapter by any chance? Just wonderring why you would use the second key for emergency.
Stop stalking me! :silly Not got the new Z4 yet. I *should* get it the first couple of weeks in June. (fingers crossed) Its scheduled to be built next week, but all the cars to be built this week were built last week. Meaning mines should be built this week.

I currently have an E90 which came with 2 of the remotes like in the pic.

If you have comfort access, then the battery is not rechargable and will need to be replaced
What is the point in that? Maybe they last longer with their own battery?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I currently have an E90 which came with 2 of the remotes like in the pic.
Interesting...I have a plastic key adapter that sits in the glove box and my plastic key is in my wallet for emergencies. Looks like this...

What is the point in that? Maybe they last longer with their own battery?
For comfort access, you just carry the key in your pocket...unlock doors by you touching the handle, and the push start works without key in dash.

·
Registered
11 Posts
So it wont work unless you plug the key into the adapter? Meaning if you loose either 1 your screwed?

What does the plastic key look like?
The plastic key looks like this...

It opens the doors, slots in the adapter, and will start the car...the transponder is in the plastic key itself. I too have a spare key like yourself, but surprised that you didn't get the plastic one with your E90. Ask your dealer if the Z4 comes with one.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Key fob

Mine is not comfort access - you have to plug in the fob. The manual says swap them over every 6 months for a long drive to keep them recharged (if I remember).

If the battery isn't replaceable in these ones, wonder how much a new one is?

Probably an arm and leg?

btw.. after covering about 1500 miles in my automatic E90, last weekend I used the kick down for accelerating. Dear lord - it was like being in a rocket! Superb :)

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
What he said...:D

If you have comfort access, then the battery is not rechargable and will need to be replaced :thumbsup.
That has saved me a post.

The dead key sign keeps popping up on my warning panel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys new to here so forgive if questions been asked before, My fob keeps falling out of the holder i think one side of the mech snapped off (was like it when i bought it) whats involved in replacing this or is it dealer only, and how much?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.