BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 07 525d touring with 92k miles on the clock which I bought in 2009. It's been a great car with one costly repair out of warranty when the self-levelling suspension pump needed replacing a year ago. Always flies through the MOT. With the age of the car I've been thinking of replacing it with another, newer, 5 series. But I've checked prices and can't really justify it right now. In my mind, I've got a quality motor that still drives really well and I can pay a lot more cash out each month to get the same thing, but a bit newer. Perhaps I should keep it, get it detailed, re-mapped, the odd paintwork scratch fixed for a lot less money and keep the rest. I'm not made of money, after all. :)

However, that got me thinking - at that mileage what bits of the car am I likely to need to replace any time soon? I am underplaying the possible expense for repairs? What's been the experience of higher mileage 5 series owners? I suppose I'm trying to work out if keeping it for a few more years is the right thing to do.

Also, I've stuck to the CBS recommendations for servicing. I'm doing low annual mileage (4-5k) so servicing isn't frequent. If I intend to keep the car for a while longer yet, should I go for more frequent oil changes or stick to what the car tells me?

Thanks for your time and advice!

P.S. Oh and yes this is my first post, and yes I have lurked here since 2009! :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not badly at all. Not that I wouldn't love one, but I'm not convinced it would be much of an upgrade from what I have now (assuming I got another 3l diesel) aside from the pleasure that getting a new or nearly new car brings. That new car novelty wears off quite quick though doesn't it!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi swedishchef,
I had the same dilemma... I had a 2006 530d msport for four years and wanted to buy the F10 when it came out...it was unjustifiably expensive to change in my world, I bought the car with 46k on it from stratstones and put approx 120k on top of that in my four years and other than a £20 crank position sensor I only changed tyres and put fuel in it-obviously serviced it too. I sold the car only because it was starting to feel tired. Ended buying an jag XF not a bad car...but not a German car either, and then recently sold my A5... And now I can justify it..back in a 530d M sport F10.
I guess I'm trying to say that if other than cosmetics if your current car is ticking all the boxes then why change...it it feels tired and things don't feel as tight and you start hearing clunks and rattles then sitting your bum in an F10 is a great place to be..personally, I loved my E46 330, my E60 and F10 as they all made me feel good when I jumped in them.......if you can afford it..why not? If you don't need to fork out dosh..why should you,

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
Eventually you'll come to the break even point where the growing niggles get too much and the temptation for the greener grass in a F10 too attractive, the easiest thing to do of course is nothing!

There's a new 5 coming out in 2017 isn't there?
In which case, you might expect current F10's might drop a bit..... just a thought!

·
Registered
597 Posts
The low annual mileage might mean you could run into DPF blocking issues unless it's getting a decent run out once in a while. DPF typically last ~125k on these models when doing 12k miles/year or more. They can be cleaned (Ceramex process, a few £100's), a new one can be up to £1500, gutting/removing is cheaper and of dubious legality (but you'd have to be caught obviously) and is down to your environmental conscience while the MOT testers are still not allowed to look for them.
Not much goes wrong with them other than that. Make sure the stats work so that it gets up to temperature so it can regen all right and you're probably OK for a couple of years yet.
If you are in the market for an F10/F11, avoid the N47 2.0d and you'll be pleased to know the F11 suffers the same self-levelling suspension problems as your E61.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts