BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in two minds whether or not to keep the BMW or sell/px and buy an Audi TT mk2.
If I go for the TT mk2 it would just be a 2.0 TFSI FWD model.
The reason they appeal is they are nippy, small, still offer decent luggage space and will allow me to fit my bike in the back.
I don't do so many miles these days with my commute to work and back home being about 28 miles.

I know I'll have to shell out money on top but I really don't know if it's worth it.

My E90 is an SE model and if I kept it I would really want to put in a set of Oyster leather seats, get a new back box fitted and perhaps an M Sport steering wheel.
However, I don't want to risk chucking money at something I'm potentially going to sell.
The advantage of the BMW is that I've already had the swirl flap mod done, it's had a full service, brake & coolant fluid and air-con service and doesn't need anything doing to it.

I test drove a TT and while it didn't have loads of torque, it drove nice and smooth, felt well made and handled well.
I didn't like the light steering much but that is something I'd get used to I suppose.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I take my wheels off my road bike will fit in pretty neatly.
It's not the be-all and end-all of having a TT.
Just wondered if it's worth while spending a bit on the BMW on a few upgrades like M-Sport leathers and steering wheel.
I do like the cabin of the BMW. It's simple yet elegant, functional and solid.
I've had a stage 1 remap on my BMW so it's running nicely and didn't feel a great deal slower to be fair.
The TT had more turbo lag but a remap would sort that out.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Read the reviews on the Audis, fair amount of comments on the dead feel steering, I was looking at an Audi 8 but happily went 7 Series.
Think about it, every corner you go into, not that sure where the wheels pointing.....
The TT on the other hand, should be far lighter and chuckable...

·
Registered
404 Posts
Stay with the BMW as you know what they say about the Audi drivers of today.

Also not sure on the engine in the TT but since changing to BMW a few years ago I haven't missed the expensive cam belt water pump changes that the VAG group need.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The good thing about my car aside from the lovely 18" Elipsoids is that it's had a new air-con service and it was fully serviced at the end of March this year. It's also had new brake and coolant fluids, the Swirl Flap removal mod and a new breather unit and intercooler flush so it doesn't need any work doing to it.
Cosmetically it needs a bit of sorting out but I can live with that and resolve over time I guess.
Just not sure whether or not to do anything.

ps I think I've gone off the TT idea now and I REALLY want an E92 Manual in either Petrol 325i and above or Diesel 325d and above.
I think I love the E92 more than any Audi.

Plus it's got my folding rear seats.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lol.
Went to look at a 330d SE but it was a bag of poo so it took me all of 1 minute to view round the edge and so no thanks.
The Dealer liked my car though so I think if I were to PX it elsewhere I might do ok.
Hoping to look at another soon.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Yeah, lots of rubbish and misdescriptions about, get yourself an autotrader login and get to know what's about in your market, save searches and run them regular, you'll then get to know what the norm is and what's special, if something that looks good and you miss it, don't worry, something else better will be along next week :)

I had 330d SE Tourer years ago, deliberately SE for the softer suspension...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've been studying the UK car market actively for about 12 years now.
It still amazes me just how much trash there is out there.
People just don't look after their cars in certain cases and some dealers are just a joke.
Patience is certainly required.
I agree, an SE model isn't a bad shout although if I went M Sport I'd want a max size of 18" wheels.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Currently have an M-Sport with 18 inch wheels :)

Many dealers don't actually know what they have and just put a basic description up, though if they provide a nice clear set of pics you can work out what they haven't mentioned, faves at the moment looking at anything VW derived is spotting the adaptive cruise 4 inch square on the lower grill or the extra switches on the dash for heated seats, would have thought a mention but hey :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did see a nice looking 535d M Sport fairly local but the dealer wanted to give me just £2k for my E90 320d SE as a PX.
Err...no chance. Even W.B.A.C. quoted me £3k.
Well, I'm not too disappointed. I want something that I can still fit in the garage like my E90 saloon.
Still in two minds whether to stick with my car and put some nice M Sport seats and steering wheel in or sell/PX for something else.
Ah well. At least my car is driving lovely. It's a want rather than a need thing really...

·
Registered
491 Posts
335i manual then? Tis what I did.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
I've had old and newer later autos, they get better as they get later, I really don't mind man or auto except the area where I live has terrible traffic, that just sold me on auto, so been those for years now.

The very latest PDK in a Porsche is quicker and more fuel efficient than a manual, the ZF 8SP is pretty good too but not quite there.

Sounds like you're in no hurry, and that's the best way to buy... :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I still dunno.
Looking at 130i's now...lol
I used to think I was indecisive but now I'm not so sure....;)

Part of me says stick with my car and leave it as it is.
Part says keep my car and fit nice Oyster M-Sport leathers and steering wheel.
Part says get something else.

I've owned 32 cars since I started driving in '96 and the longest I've owned a car for is 4 years. Which was my highly modified Golf GT TDI which I sold last year.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Easiest is to stick, reckon I go long distance with mine, keep around 100,000 miles whatever I buy at, usually low twenties...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts