BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Just joined here a few moments ago - seems like a very useful site with lots of knowledgable people.

I'm wanting to purchase a used BMW 5 or 7 series, with a 3 litre diesel engine. I only drive about 6k miles a year.

Having looked on things like autotrader I see that the used price for both these cars seem similar (around £10k to £11k for c. 80k miles on both). I only drive automatics and like my creature comforts (i.e leather, satnav, electric seats etc.). Seems to me that a 730d gives you much more for your money when buying used of this age.

Regardless of the slightly higher tax of the 730d (and potentially marginally higher insurance costs) I am seeking advice from anyone on maintenance costs - specifically how often I should expect to replace tyres and how much should I roughly allow? Also, what are the service intervals for these cars? Finally, are there any common faults I need to consider when going to check out some cars?

Any advice is appreciated!!

Many thanks,

JROxford.

·
Banned
1,871 Posts
I'd opt for the 7 for the reasons you say - toys!

There's not a lot of difference in running costs, but the 7 will be higher and its size will consume stuff like brakes and suspension over time. Servicing depends on the year etc as most BMWs of later vintage are usage based so once-a-year is no more for those like us who don't do big mileage. Tyre life depends on how/where you drive but for the mileage you do....about every three/four years!!

I'll let others comment on common faults as I've owned neither!!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
530d's - thermostats,swirl flaps, dpf (linked with stats) .... for the amount of mileage you will be doing - i would buy a petrol version on either car.

Reactions: afcneal

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ooh thanks for all the replies already!

Ok, seems like a theme of petrol better than diesel here. Can anybody tell me why? My last 5 cars have been diesel and all reliable, great economy and strong torque. What are the benefits of a 730 petrol over the diesel?

Thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum,

Diesel is great but petrol is more fun. The MPG/Cost is still much better with diesel.
I routinely drive a 530D and my 740I, and the 7 is WAY more fun to drive having loads of power and is just more 'cushy' and with more gadgets.

Operating costs - Aside from the higher fuel/MPG cost with the 7, I Couldnt say. You need to test drive both if operating cost is not the major concern.

Either way - Great cars!

Cheers,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts