BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw a iphone 4 on ebay and thought ill buy it the buyer requested not to use pay pal cash on collection or direct bank transfer so i rang him up and gave me his account details and sort code then put the money in to his bank right away been a week and no item what a fucking con so contacted ebay there saying it was out of ebay so all thay can do is file a report witch i can understand but my question still remains i put the money in to his account in cash so is there any possible way i could claim this bank do i need to have a word with the bank and see what actions i should take casue ive just been robbed left over 100 messages 20 voice messages and nothing just my fucking luck in the world any help would be helpfull :mad

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
No you don't, if he used a visa card he can claw back his money through his bank, he should inform the police but he does not have to

·
Administrator
11,494 Posts
No you don't, if he used a visa card he can claw back his money through his bank, he should inform the police but he does not have to
if you read the ops thread properly he put the money in to the mans bank a/c and if you read my other post i said only use paypal or CREDIT CARD and by visa what one do you mean debit because you can only claim on the credit card one not the debit one

·
Seriously Platinum BFuk Member
135 Posts
I got the impression that riku sent the money by internet payment, direct from his bank to the villain?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Just spoke to my wife and she says the following "contact your bank and state you have made a mistake with a payment and that you want to complete a charge back" - she says that they normally only do it for card transactions but it is worth a try...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Mark's advice above seems to be spot on from what Ive just been looking at. Try bank first but it only ever used to be credit cards that helped you out in this way.

Page here from ombudsman site might clarify things but nothing seems to be specifically describing 'when you have been the victim of a scam' like this.
http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/technical_notes/disputed-transactions.htm

Their attitude seems to be what measures did you take to ensure the sale & transaction would all be legit? And that might not go in your favour. But then if you read the case studies they take a fair bit of evidence into account to reach the right/fair decision in most of them. Maybe youll get lucky dude :thumbsup finger crossed

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just contact the police, you've been a victim of fraud, and they'll sort it out.
How will they do this? Assuming the fraudster was convicted of a criminal action how would you recover the money? You'd probably have to raise a civil case against the person that deceived you and the court might find in your favour but it might be a very long drawn out process. And the person may claim they cant even afford to pay you back. What then?

The police can give you a crime number. Its unlikely they'll just put their arm around you and you'll be back to having that £200 or whatever back in your pocket.

I could of course be completely wrong in which case Ill hold my hands up and say fair enough :)

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
The police have got involved in a case on here where someone bought something in the for sale section, and it never turned up, and this is pretty much the same.
It would be a civil matter if there was some sort of disagreement, but a criminal matter if it was just planned to take money from people.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Ah yeah dude - I've no doubt the police will get involved. Theyll take details and all that but I will be surprised if a suspect ever gets as far as questioned in a police station. Nothing would please me more than rip off merchants getting whats coming to them but Im a little sceptical is all. I'm keen to get updates on that other guy robbing ppl - how far have the police got? We had his name, location, everything they would need. I dunno how long these things take to pan out tho. AND please note I'm not having a go at the police in any way!

I still dont see how a criminal conviction against the fraudster will put that money back in OP's pocket. Ive heard stories of cars and tv's being taken from ppl who make money from ill gotten gains but is it the same for cash? Although if a criminal conviction was successful I doubt youd have any problem in recovering it in a civil case.

Meh I dunno - maybe I'm being overly negative! I hope so :)

·
Administrator
11,494 Posts
Ah yeah dude - I've no doubt the police will get involved. Theyll take details and all that but I will be surprised if a suspect ever gets as far as questioned in a police station. Nothing would please me more than rip off merchants getting whats coming to them but Im a little sceptical is all. I'm keen to get updates on that other guy robbing ppl - how far have the police got? We had his name, location, everything they would need. I dunno how long these things take to pan out tho. AND please note I'm not having a go at the police in any way!

I still dont see how a criminal conviction against the fraudster will put that money back in OP's pocket. Ive heard stories of cars and tv's being taken from ppl who make money from ill gotten gains but is it the same for cash? Although if a criminal conviction was successful I doubt youd have any problem in recovering it in a civil case.

Meh I dunno - maybe I'm being overly negative! I hope so :)
its called obtaining money by deception and the court will return his money by way of compensation if they find the man guilty:thumbsup

·
Registered
187 Posts
You actually have 90 days to file a charge back,as dazza says tho contact your bank and reverse the money
and as someone has said their is a diff between visa and visa debit ones cover'd the other aint
in anycase you will (maybe a while) get your money back if he cant prove he posted an item to you,if not he could be done for money by deception

·
Registered
286 Posts
As it was on e-bay do you have his pay pal details? If so that will also have his address on.... go pay a visit

·
Registered
80 Posts
its called obtaining money by deception and the court will return his money by way of compensation if they find the man guilty:thumbsup
Had a look into this and youre spot on with your call dude :) it doesnt fall under fraud law

Obtaining a money transfer by deception.

(1)After section 15 of the Theft Act 1968 insert—

“15A Obtaining a money transfer by deception.

(1)A person is guilty of an offence if by any deception he dishonestly obtains a money transfer for himself or another.

Then on victim suport site
If you want the court to consider awarding you compensation in this way, you need to tell the police. As part of the process, you will need to give them details about the loss or damage you've suffered. The police will give this information to the Crown Prosecution Service, who will then make the request in court.

If the court decides to order the offender to pay you compensation, it will be limited to what the offender can afford and may depend on the sentence the court has already passed. For example, the court will not usually order an offender to pay compensation if they are being sent to prison. The compensation may not cover the full cost of your damage or loss and often the offender will be able to pay it in instalments. The offender makes the payments to the court, which will then pass the money on to you. The court is responsible for making sure that the offender pays the compensation.

Now, hopefully it all gets resolved without needing to involve the law but if you need to...payno has given you the facts :thumbsup

1 - 20 of 34 Posts