BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I drive a 2005 320D E90.
I've noticed in the last 3 months that when I brake the steering wheel vibrates and it's getting worse. I don't notice any vibrations anywhere else other than in the steering wheel.

It happens at low speeds ~50km/h and high speeds 120km/h

All pads were replaced about 3,000km ago. Rear calipers were also replaced at the same time.
I don't drive the car much - maybe 220km every 2 weeks (I get the train to work, visit my parents once every 2 weeks ~100km away).

The front drivers side tyre has a slow puncture - it goes from 32psi to 27psi in 2 weeks.
The vibration is still there immediately after I pump it.
I also can't find where the injury is in the tyre - there is a cut in the sidewall but it doesn't look like it's deep and so I'm not confident this is the issue (although a possibility?).

My ideas:
Tyres? Could the nick in the sidewall cause this?
Solution: 2 new front tyres fitted (Cost ~€120)

Tension strut/Lower control arm replacement?
Is there any way to check if these need replacing?
Solution: Replace (Cost ~€150 + Tracking €50)

Tracking?
Could the car (wheels?) be out of alignment and need to be tracked?
Solution: Bring to garage to get tracking fixed (~€50)

Balancing?
Wheels need balancing?
Solution: Bring to tyre fitters to balance, or maybe just get new tyres altogether (Cost ? / ~€120)

Anything else to suggest?

My initial thoughts also were a warped rotor, but after some reading some people suggest that modern rotors do not warp.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Hi guys,

I drive a 2005 320D E90.
I've noticed in the last 3 months that when I brake the steering wheel vibrates and it's getting worse. I don't notice any vibrations anywhere else other than in the steering wheel.

It happens at low speeds ~50km/h and high speeds 120km/h

All pads were replaced about 3,000km ago. Rear calipers were also replaced at the same time.
I don't drive the car much - maybe 220km every 2 weeks (I get the train to work, visit my parents once every 2 weeks ~100km away).

The front drivers side tyre has a slow puncture - it goes from 32psi to 27psi in 2 weeks.
The vibration is still there immediately after I pump it.
I also can't find where the injury is in the tyre - there is a cut in the sidewall but it doesn't look like it's deep and so I'm not confident this is the issue (although a possibility?).

My ideas:
Tyres? Could the nick in the sidewall cause this?
Solution: 2 new front tyres fitted (Cost ~?120)

Tension strut/Lower control arm replacement?
Is there any way to check if these need replacing?
Solution: Replace (Cost ~?150 + Tracking ?50)

Tracking?
Could the car (wheels?) be out of alignment and need to be tracked?
Solution: Bring to garage to get tracking fixed (~?50)

Balancing?
Wheels need balancing?
Solution: Bring to tyre fitters to balance, or maybe just get new tyres altogether (Cost ? / ~?120)

Anything else to suggest?

My initial thoughts also were a warped rotor, but after some reading some people suggest that modern rotors do not warp.

Thanks for any help!

I have the same issue, if you watch from the outside and get someone to roll forward and slam the brakes on you may find the wheel wobbles (literally just roll forward like 3mph and slam the brake on). This would show that the bushes are worn, if like mine it will be the lower wishbones. Im pretty sure you can also jack the car up and give a tug to check for play

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the same issue, if you watch from the outside and get someone to roll forward and slam the brakes on you may find the wheel wobbles (literally just roll forward like 3mph and slam the brake on). This would show that the bushes are worn, if like mine it will be the lower wishbones. Im pretty sure you can also jack the car up and give a tug to check for play
When you say check for play - do you mean try wiggle the wheel side to side?
Or do I need to take off the wheel and see if there's any play in the wishbones?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How old are the front discs? Have they been checked for run out?
I've had the car for the last 5 years and I've never changed them.
About a year ago I checked the front left side discs and they were rubbing slightly at one point in a revolution of the wheel, so I bought and fitted a new disc to that side, but the rubbing was still there (although a little bit less resistance) so I put back on the original disc.

·
Registered
493 Posts
To be honest mate, i was quite vague about what i was saying in regards to manualy checking the bushes and what not because i havent actually done it myself. There are youtube videos that demonstrate how its done though.. for me however the issue was detected after someone tracked the rear wheels. He rolled forward and slammed the brakes on, then rolled forward again and quickly pumped the brake on and off and each and every time the brakes where applied you could actually see the wheel "judder" if that makes sense? But anyway, i believe that's what causes the vibration, its the wheels juddering as you're braking.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts