BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
EARLS BRAIDED CLUTCH LINE (part 2):
As you might have read above - the original Earls Braided Clutch Line I bought was a little tight in fitting (in regards to clearance with the bulkhead) - so I decided to order the variant with the 45 degree hard pipe bend in it:

My car is going back in on Tuesday to have it swapped over.. :)

If I'm being honest I wasn't expecting too much from this mod.. suffice to say that this has been a pleasant and welcome surprise as it is effectively one of the best mods (pound for pound) you can do to the car. Changing gear has now been transformed - and it seems to be a good partner for my weighted and shortened Storm Motorwerks V1 as gear changes now happen extremely quickly - so fast that the revs don't get a chance to drop much if it all between gear changes!! takes a little bit to get used to at first - but when you are used to it you can slot up and down through the gears effortlessly!.. it is an awesome mod IMHO!!.. I'm very impressed with it and thoroughly recommend it to anyone else considering ways to improve their shift.

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
EARLS BRAIDED CLUTCH LINE (part 2):
As you might have read above - the original Earls Braided Clutch Line I bought was a little tight in fitting (in regards to clearance with the bulkhead) - so I decided to order the variant with the 45 degree hard pipe bend in it:

My car is going back in on Tuesday to have it swapped over.. :)

If I'm being honest I wasn't expecting too much from this mod.. suffice to say that this has been a pleasant and welcome surprise as it is effectively one of the best mods (pound for pound) you can do to the car. Changing gear has now been transformed - and it seems to be a good partner for my weighted and shortened Storm Motorwerks V1 as gear changes now happen extremely quickly - so fast that the revs don't get a chance to drop much if it all between gear changes!! takes a little bit to get used to at first - but when you are used to it you can slot up and down through the gears effortlessly!.. it is an awesome mod IMHO!!.. I'm very impressed with it and thoroughly recommend it to anyone else considering ways to improve their shift.
One of the best and cheapest mods you can do IMO. I fitted one to the 325, i was lucky with the new car as it already had one fitted....:thumbsup

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
INTERIOR MAKEOVER 3: Doug Whalen black anodised hood release handle:

Got home from work today to find my Doug Whalen black anodised hood release handle had arrived safe and well from the States - overall impressions are very good!! - it's a quality piece of craftsmanship and certainly feels a lot more purposeful than the flimsy plastic stock item that was on there:

And it took all of 5 minutes and a Phillips screwdriver to fit:

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Pang,

Can you post or PM me the source please? The handle on my 6 would look cheap on a 316...........
Hi Neal - I got mine from Doug Whalen of Whalen Shift Machine fame:

http://www.whalenshiftmachine.com/

He's a member on the US board - he doesn't advertise these handles and only very rarely does them in limited numbers when he has downtime on his machines. As far as I know he has now fulfilled all orders and doesn't have any spare - but I'll drop you his email address and you can check or ask him to give you a heads up if he does them again in future? ;) :)

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
That's a fair price knowing all the work you've done to it.
But I gotta ask what was you thinking with the Merc, and that leathers gonna be hard to keep clean :eek:thumbsup
The Merc's the main transport for the wife (anything for a quiet life!).. although it's cracking car to be fair - perfect for city driving and the engine has a decent punch to it.. 4 doors make for much better child friendly car!! neither the compact or Z3 are conducive to transporting babies/children with ease!! LOL! the leather is fine as well - shouldn't be too hard to keep on top of.. a good job I have plenty of Gliptone liquid leather cleaner and conditioner left over!! :D

·
Registered
130 Posts
what a car. lots of work and time put into this. seems a shame to let this go.i hope who ever gets this acr looks after it. good luck with the sale mate.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I bet you'll be sad to see it go Pangster but congratulations with the baby.
thanks mate!! ;):thumbsup

what a car. lots of work and time put into this. seems a shame to let this go.i hope who ever gets this acr looks after it. good luck with the sale mate.
thanks! :) I'll be sad to see it go (whenever it does) either this year or next.. I'm lucky in the one hand that I'm not desperate and don't need to give it away - so might still have it for a bit yet!.. ;)

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
thanks! :) I'll be sad to see it go (whenever it does) either this year or next.. I'm lucky in the one hand that I'm not desperate and don't need to give it away - so might still have it for a bit yet!.. ;)
I wouldnt give it away either Paul. IMO that is a fantastic car for what you are asking. No one is gonna find one with all those upgrades fitted. :thumbsup

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I wouldnt give it away either Paul. IMO that is a fantastic car for what you are asking. No one is gonna find one with all those upgrades fitted. :thumbsup
thanks Steve!! :thumbsup

I've now got round to updating an advert on Gumtree as well as Pistonheads:

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/bmw-z3-28-roadster-1998/87044989

Gumtree is pretty cool as it gives you stats (22 views since the advert went live yesterday...) :)

It's also featured on Pro-Grip's website (the company that set it up after the suspension was fitted):

Pro-Grip:
http://www.pro-grip.org.uk/cars.html

And is also on the Beyern Wheels website:

Beyern Wheels (select Z3 under model):
http://www.beyernwheels.com/bmw-wheels-showroom.php

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
That's my car now officially sold and on it's way to it's new home! - so this will probably be my last update on this thread...

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f74/what-did-you-do-to-your-bmw-today-t21031/post831648.html

Really not too enthused or motivated about trying to look for another car just now.. nothing really floating my boat (doesn't really help when I'm not sure what I want?...) - will probably just kick about in the Merc and Compact for a bit and let things settle down here (in the last week I've had new Central Heating and double glazing installed on top of trying to finish off decorating the house, Ive got the in-laws over just now (although the wife has taken them to Bordeaux for 4 days), I need to get the bathroom done and make sure we're straight for the baby coming in January!!!!) - time is flying by and I can't believe it is October all ready!! - Oh!.. and it's been manic at work as well!!! LOL!.. :frown

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
A great car and always an interesting read, so glad the new owner appreciated your upgrades and mods :D

January will be here in no time at all so I think you're right in leaving the car search until things settle down, at least then you can view at your leisure.

Good Luck with everything over the coming months. :thumbsup

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
A great car and always an interesting read, so glad the new owner appreciated your upgrades and mods :D

January will be here in no time at all so I think you're right in leaving the car search until things settle down, at least then you can view at your leisure.

Good Luck with everything over the coming months. :thumbsup
Thanks mate :thumbsup.. just had a call from the new owner.. he's just passed Birmingham (so has made pretty decent time!!) - seems to have been good weather for him as well.. just a pity that most of the trip has been done with the hardtop on! (the only realistic way of transporting it when you have a Z3 is to have it fitted to the car!).. conversely it's been raining here since the car left :frown..

He seemed to have planned his trip out fairly well and one of the better roads which leads south is the A701 Moffat Road which he included in his way down.. to say I'm a little jealous of being able to put the car through its paces on this road, in this weather is an understatement!!.. the longest trip I had with it was when I was driving it home from Birmingham when I first bought it.. (still up there as probably one of the best drives I've had!!.. a bit ironic that when it's returning south of the border that it's going back the way it came!!)..

41 - 59 of 59 Posts