BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

Jacking and axel stands

3K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Defiance 
#1 ·
Hiya, its a silly question i know but i gotta ask sadly!
when i jack the my e46 320d up where do i put the axle stands?, either side of the jacking point looks / feels like plastic so that wont do. Im changing discs and rear springs.

thats in advance for any replies

steve

#2 ·
Hiya,

The jacking points under the sills are plastic coated affairs, oblong in shape, if you feel around then under/inside you will feel the steel

You can buy for want of better wording a hockey puck kind of rubber that fits inside these nicely and also fits snug onto a normal jack (under 10 quid)

The plastic is i guess purely for some cosmetic rust protection reasons

But those four plastic oblong mounts are the official stand points

I assume your stands are kind of staggered curved topped type, i rest mine like so, imagine as you look side on at the car, the stand tops go narrow-ways in, so they cup from the centre of the point internal to external edge sideways on, not the length of it (hope that makes sense)

Tony

YT is a great source for what i mean

#3 ·
Hiya Tony, puck on order, thanks for info.
But I'm still missing a wee bit of info lol, when i use the cars standard jack to jack up the car, how am i meant to put the axle stand in the same place the jack is ?
Its ok using the standard jack for a wheel change, but theres no way id trust it whilst i change the springs. on all my other cars ive just put the stands next to the jacking point on the sills. but on this car i cant without damaging the area around it.

#4 ·
The square plastic pads are the jacking points.
If you have a decent trolly jack,then put it under the bar under the diff and then put axel stands at the rear jacking points.
Never leave a trolly jack to support the weight of a car.
To put axel stands on the front of the car,again with a trolly jack,look for the chassis frame about a foot and a half in from the jacking point
and raise the car there to put the axel stand under the plastic pad jacking point.

#7 ·
If you have a decent trolly jack,then put it under the bar under the diff and then put axel stands at the rear jacking points.
Never leave a trolly jack to support the weight of a car.
BMW specifically say not to do this. (pretty much everyone does but I would not recommend it)

#5 ·
Hiya,

Vid here to show better ........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrePZlsKZdI

He's a hoot, the car he's working on is the awd version, but jacking/stands the same

I can't rem if your underneath cross member is aluminium, but towards the front centre away from the oil drain bolt flap area, there is (i bet was lol) a jacking bubble, no doubt it's mashed inwards and not curved outwards

But from front u jack that part up, get front stands under, then rear u jack from the diff area (vid i think shows easier than i can explain in text)

Also ........... impee's Website | www.impee.co.uk

Explains jacking n standing amongst many other good guides

Tony

#10 ·
So what exactly is the risk?
Have you got a better solution for people that don't have a car lift at their disposal.
If you want to jack up the rear end of an e46 then your options are limited.
Leave a hydraulic jack at each side is suicide.So what do you do?

#12 ·
If you're that worried the only thing i can suggest is this

Get a length a strong H or I bar whatever you'd term it yourself (hehe price a piece up new for a shock)

Have it under a front jacking point, then as it goes onto a rear jacking point, only let it rest 10mm or so onto the jacking point, this will leave enough meat on the jacking point to get a stand under

Slap a jack nearer the rear jacking point under said bar and jack away

Slap a stand under the remaining jacking point

That way you have still only used the jacking point/s

If i was that worried without trying or previously jacked in those/these areas i would just pay an indi with a 4 way to do what's needed and be done with it

Tony

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.