BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Evening,

I have just got a 6 month old G22 4 series which is my first BMW. I would like to be able to take the wheels off to clean and seal them from time to time so intend to jack the car up. The car is fitted with the rectangular plastic jack points that many BMW's have and i intend to buy a jack pad adapter to fit my trolley jack to jack up without damaging the jacking points. Can anyone advise if the weight of the car when jacking should be taken by the rectangular edge of the jacking point or the on the centre section of the jacking point? Some of the jacking points available on ebay state that the block that goes into the jacking point has an increased height to transfer the weight to the centre section of the jack point whereas others appear to show the weight being transferred to the outside of the jacking point. Any recommendations for the best jack pad adapters to prevent damage to the jacking points?

Cheers

·
Registered
102 Posts
If you don't use the pads and just lift on the rectangular plastic at the jacking point then it may crush the plastic. (Many garages do this)
This tells me that the plastic is not load bearing and purely there to indicate the location of the jacking point. The inner part of the pad should therefore do the lifting.
Just my opinion

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
590 Posts
If you don't use the pads and just lift on the rectangular plastic at the jacking point then it may crush the plastic. (Many garages do this)
This tells me that the plastic is not load bearing and purely there to indicate the location of the jacking point. The inner part of the pad should therefore do the lifting.
Just my opinion

That's correct. Been using a jack pad adapter for over a decade now on my last three 5-series when I'm swapping summer to winter wheels and back. Never had a problem. Got mine from Amazon years ago, it's still in use.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Most shops don't have adapters, the plastic is incredibly hard and will support the weight, but it's safer to use an adapter.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Most shops don't have adapters, the plastic is incredibly hard and will support the weight, but it's safer to use an adapter.
Yes it will probably be ok for a few lifts but I have seen them damaged.
Better to use the pads IMO.

·
Registered
2013 F11 503d
312 Posts
Been using a jack pad adapter for over a decade now on my last three 5-series when I'm swapping summer to winter wheels and back. Never had a problem. Got mine from Amazon years ago, it's still in use.
Me too. They are not expensive and will last for years if used correctly.
Ive had mine damaged from tire shops lifting without the pads. I now keep one in the boot and tell them not to use the lift unless it has rubber pads on it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts