BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
someone please put sense to this, i beg you?!?!

i received a quote through a reputable insurance company for £1520, to be fair this is a very good price so naturally i decided it would be best to use them. i understand the quote given is for paying straight away in one lump sum and as i wished to pay through direct debit over the duration of the insurance i knew id be paying an slightly increased premium to cater for the admin costs and the removal of any so called "discounts".

so i ring up, spend a good 10 minutes going through the details, its all going well everything tallies up. we get to towards the end of the conversation and i explain i wish to pay through direct debit as this would be more convenient seeing as im a student so im not exactly flush with cash this time of year. the very kind man changes the details round, baring in mind there is me expecting say £1700 maybe £1800 tops.....he returns to me with a firgure of £2300!!! i literally went, "oh well that buggers that then." they want more than half of the initial premium on top just because i can't pay the greedy forkers in one lump sum!!! £800!!! i had to end the phone call there and go away and think (shift some money around my accounts so i could pay in one lump sum, thus making my already pretty dismal cash flow just that little bit worse)

so i ring up again, go through the same process, then as he is checking the details of the named drivers it flags up a claim on my dads history. i admit i had genuinely forgotten he had claimed a week ago, a builder dropped a brick on his car and he was having it fixed courtesy of the builder. so i understand this but take some things into consideration...my dad is 52 and has been driving for 35 years, has had no driving offenses, this is his first claim for anything in 35 years of driving. the man returns with the policy increased by £200 to a now princely sum of £1750. is that not completely insane, i shouldn't think there are many drivers with 35 years worth of clean driving and they still add money on because of some stupid brick incident on his off-side wing. is there no discretion in these things??

arrrrrgh i think im going to go insane!!!

(rant over)

·
Registered
536 Posts
Unfortunately thats the way they screw you. Even if you make a no fault claim they still screw you something rotten. Thats what happened when my Dad was rear ended his premium increased even though he was the victim.

The prices they charge are a rip off to begin with and that whole admin fee and interest charge for paying by direct debit is a nonsense too.

I wouldn't be paying insurance for a car at that, i'd rather bite the bullet and drive a Jazz than fork out that.

Oh and do you know according to insurers your dads supposedly 3 times more likely to claim again in the next 3 years? Sometimes I think they pluck numbers out the sky.

My premium came in at just shy of £600, but the same company quoted me £300 on their bells and whistles policy. Just madness!

Have you tried getting a quote on the internet? Mind you usually get a 10% discount too

·
Registered
104 Posts
I feel for you! I'm a uni student too.

I'd been quoted £860 TPFT on my 3 series. On the day I went to pick it up I phoned the company and asked them to initiate the insurance (they'd said they'll save my quote and I just had to phone up on the day I was picking it up and they'd start it from mid-day)
So after days of sorting out the money I had enough to pay the £180 deposit but no.

The insurance had jumped to £1100 with a £230 insurance deposit. I had to pay it but it's surreal how they can just do this!

·
Registered
74 Posts
indian

hello
Insurance will always screw you, but no claim and no blame are NOT the same thing and will have off the other persons insurance.

Nigel

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rob dogs the lot of them bring on 21 years old for me i say!!

·
Banned
432 Posts
gotta love insurance esspecially when your young have you tried calling adrian flux they halved my quotes jsut make sure you do it over the phone not online as you dont get any discounts online,

having your dad as a 2nd driver might be better taking him off now?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Agreed, its all b*llocks. My wifes premium went up because she was hit by someone else. All paid for by the other drivers insurance company so why should they increase my wife's:mad

·
Administrator
4,209 Posts
I can see reasons why a non-fault claim would put your premium up. It's all done on risk and whilst accidents may not technically be your fault there may have been reasons that make it more likely to happen again. It could be a dangerous junction you use on your everday commute, you may brake heavier than most or be hesitant at roundabouts or junctions etc. Even if someone clips your car, maybe it's where you park or even how you park out from the kerb.

Saying that I know it sucks! Everytime I get close to being claim free something happens... This years renewal included two claims which were not caused by me.

I had an incident on the motorway a few years back which left me backwards down an embankment and the other driver didn't stop so I had to claim off my own insurance...

I was then within 2 months of not having to report any accidents and had a mint individual 328 sport... Then got hit up the rear by a double decker bus doing 30mph even though I had been stopped for a minute or two... Again, going back to the no-fault thing, simply due to the fact I may drive that route again or the fact that I use the car early in the morning when drivers are a little drowzy etc I can see why my premium should be loaded.

Ian

·
Registered
89 Posts
mrs 328i and myself have our car insured with tesco,I made a claim last year in our old car as I hit a stag one evening causing total claim of nearly£1800 this was in our 2001 1.6 zafira and they didnt write it off they repaired it! any way I saw the light sold it a few months later and bought the 328. We had checked insurance prices online and found the bimmer to be cheap enough even with my claim. When the renewal came through at £658 I said fcuk that lets go online and find a better quote,the best quote was tesco(the same insurers) at £268! I phoned the renewal line who then said it would be £750! when i told them about the online quote they told me the discounts were better online and to buy the policy from the comparison site! Now I can understand better online discounts but nearly £500? makes no sense to me. MY advice is to shop around and use more than one comparison site as I found confused.com were about £100 cheaper on their quotes than go compare for the same insurers. In short it seems to me that they are all crooks, I know its a pain but shop around as much as possible it can save you a fortune.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
good advice there mate, i found mine through moneysupermarket, the same company on gocompare were £200 more. NOW that is non-nonsensical, the same company with the same details and giving different quotes,bizarre.

·
Administrator
4,209 Posts
mrs 328i and myself have our car insured with tesco,I made a claim last year in our old car as I hit a stag one evening causing total claim of nearly£1800 this was in our 2001 1.6 zafira and they didnt write it off they repaired it! any way I saw the light sold it a few months later and bought the 328. We had checked insurance prices online and found the bimmer to be cheap enough even with my claim. When the renewal came through at £658 I said fcuk that lets go online and find a better quote,the best quote was tesco(the same insurers) at £268! I phoned the renewal line who then said it would be £750! when i told them about the online quote they told me the discounts were better online and to buy the policy from the comparison site! Now I can understand better online discounts but nearly £500? makes no sense to me. MY advice is to shop around and use more than one comparison site as I found confused.com were about £100 cheaper on their quotes than go compare for the same insurers. In short it seems to me that they are all crooks, I know its a pain but shop around as much as possible it can save you a fortune.

Lol, to make it more confusing Confused.com is part of the admiral group.

Bell, admiral, elephant are all the same company.

Ian

·
Registered
314 Posts
if you go over to moneysaving expert website there is a good guide which goes through how insurance policies are scored and premiums calculated.

Its breaks it down into all sorts, things to avoid (ie red cars carry higher risk level) and even suggests how to manipulate the online insurance quote sites.

Martin Lewis has one reader whomanaged to get an annual comprehensive insurance policy for 96p... :eek

CLICK HERE IF YOU FANCY 96p CAR INSURANCE

·
Registered
151 Posts
the insurance on one of my old cars, a mk3 fiesta xr2i (third party, fire and theft) was nearly £500, sold it and bought a E36 318is Coupe, fully comp was just over £300.......work that out!!!!
I now own a 328i coupe, fully comp is £240, I know I am 35 but I only passed my test 10 years ago and I have had 4 claims (none of which were my fault).
All I can say is look around, or just list your mum as a named driver, that normally brings it down.

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
43 years old. Fat salesman. 4 yrs NCB.

Renewed earlier this month.
3 different prices off BMW, all varied each time I rang to take up the deal, gave up in the end.
Adrian Flux would not quote, despite 13 yrs NCB on a bike with them, but in fairness did explain why to me.
In the end, A-Plan gave a good price, were consistent, and got my money.

Couldn't even list my Mum. She died 20 years ago and could not drive, bloody parents, eh ?

Freeeeekin mare. :mad

·
Registered
360 Posts
Insurance will get cheaper the downside is you need to wait until you get older.

My insurance is around the £380 mark through direct line ncb protected etc. as I'm 40. My 'station' car wich is a fiesta was cheaper through elephant whereas elehant was far more expensive for the BM.

My wife was rear ended, oh err, a coupe of years ago and although the fault was accepted by the third party we still had a massive challenge getting Direct Line to 'manage' the claim. Everytime you rang them you'd get a different person and had to go through all of the details again each time. You'd get the 'I understand why your getting annoyed sir' routine but they didn't really give a shite. It's enough to give you a heart attack, and you have to pay to use the frigging 0870 - 0845 number even though the keep you waiting - even though your call is important to them - for 30+ minutes because they don't employ enough people, my phone bill went up by 20 quid + a month over the 3 months the car (fiesta) was being repaired.

Bottom line is they are all pants if you need to make a claim.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
cheers for the input guys, in the end i put my mum and sister on my policy which brought it down by a few hundred. s

1 - 20 of 26 Posts