BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I am not very mechanically minded, so would appreciate any advice on some issues...

I just bought a 2002 bmw 320 convertible yesterday.

The first issue is the radio doesnt work. The seller said i needed to re-connect it. I have had a look in the boot and looked for rogue wires but cant figure anything out. maybe it is behind the headunit?

The car has Satnav and TV. When i turn on the Tv its just black and white fuzz and it cant connect to any channel. If the radio was connected would the tv work aswel? I no i have the TV tuner which is a rarity so its not that.

Thirdly, the cars speakers are temperamental. Every now and then it will cut to just the drivers side front speaker then randomly the rest will start working. Is there any loose connection/fuse i can sort out?

Any help with the above issues would be much appreciated. Many thanks

·
Registered
880 Posts
Radio module is in the boot.

2000 car will have a BM24, these are well known for having dry joints which cause the syptoms you describe. Contact Turnbulls of Plymouth, they can fix it.

TV will be analogue only, has this been switched off in your area?

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
The nav and TV system consists of

1) A monitor and buttons in the dash. This is a dumb display and keyboard. It performs absolutely no intelligent functions. It sends commands to the back or the car.
2) A tuner box. A BM24 or BM54. This is a headunit without a faceplate. It contains the FM tuner and audio amplifier. It's in the boot. It's the part you need to look at. more later.
3) The nav drive. Outputs the blue menu display and nav pictures.
4) The TV tuner. Outputs the blue menu display when GPS is not fitted and TV pictures.

When you say "the radio doesn't work". Can you elaborate? No sound at all? Orange LED next to the volume knob does not light? No CD? no FM/AM? Static?

For the TV, you say it is fuzz (no signal), did you tune the TV from the menu (Autostore?). Has your area been through the Digital switchover?

For the speakers, you may have a problem with the BM54 or the wiring to the doors. I'd leave that for another day until you fix the other problems. This is because this topic comes up a lot and you could read around by searching to perhaps find someone who has the same problem, and post in that thread.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many thanks for the responses.

A very good point about switching over to digital. Im in the centre of Manchester,so its likely. The tV wont pick up anything when i autostore.

The radio does work. There is static noise. It doesnt connect to any radio station. The CD changer works fine. So what can i do in the boot to fix this?

Many thanks again, il search around more for the speaker issue.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
The antenna amp is in the C pillar on the passenger side on the saloon. Not sure where it is located on the vert, maybe you have a whip antenna on the boot and it is under that?

Find the tuner/amp in the boot, it's the same size as a regular headunit, silver in colour and standing upright under the nav drive. You can check the FM cable is plugged in there also.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts