BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how much did/does it cost to replace a blown head gasket on a 328i?
as ther is a car for sale for 600 quid, rest of car is 100% perfect just pondering the average price, i'll phone up quick fit tomorrow or an other garage of kind... cheers all

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
Dont bother Dean. Will cost £500+ if there are problems. Just get one that has no faults. Im in the trade and even i wouldnt bother for myself. They are so cheap now that is not worth the effort mate :frown
I saw an N reg saloon for sale the other day from a trader with 3 month warranty, full leather A/C and all the gizmo's. 1 yrs ticket for £900 :eek

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
owch! it's in good nick though apart from the gasket,
but i rather listen to you guys but i do like a good prodject to work on lol.
but 500 quid! thats a lot..
theres another car from scrap yard where hes got all replacment parts but it's got smashed bonnet and smash front bumper.. i need a prodject lol but not one that cost too much..
all the decent 328i's have now gone soon as i get the bluddy money too :( kinda stressfull..
if you lot see one for under 1,200 thats a manual 2 door let me know cheers

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
If you can do the work yourself and not pay ANYONE you are on to a winner. As soon as you have to pay labour charges its just not worth it.
I did up a 316i last year that needed 2 wings, a bonnet, front bumper and front panel. Got all the parts from my local scrappy mate and ebay. A days work and job done. If i had to have paid someone it would have been more than the cars worth. Pick your projects well and you will be fine.
Just be patient and the right car will come along, trust me :thumbsup

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you can do the work yourself and not pay ANYONE you are on to a winner. As soon as you have to pay labour charges its just not worth it.
I did up a 316i last year that needed 2 wings, a bonnet, front bumper and front panel. Got all the parts from my local scrappy mate and ebay. A days work and job done. If i had to have paid someone it would have been more than the cars worth. Pick your projects well and you will be fine.
Just be patient and the right car will come along, trust me :thumbsup
i trust you 100% lol you have a lot more experiance then I lol.
the project would be fun to do in the day whilst i work in the evening-late night/morning..
i can do body work myself, but with mech's i know bugger all but willing to learn lol,
so like with the gasket i would attempt myself but probs be take to a garage....:frown
also found out it needs it's viscus clutch replacing too... so looks like the costs build up.. maybe i'll pass on the blown gasket lol

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
Cheers Dean,
It does sound like its been overheated with the fan clutch prob :frown
They can give big probs if they have overheated. :frown
Keep us posted with any thoughts/ideas mate :thumbsup

·
Registered
564 Posts
I got my 328i sport for £500. Head was fooked....bought a donor 328i alpine for the engine...swapped it all over......sold all the bits from the alpine....made more back than I paid for both cars! kerching! if you are frugel and good with words you will pick up a bargain

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
As mentioned,, why spend £600 or so, + £700 more (when doing head gasket you'll probably want to change a few other bits too along the way) when you can get a clean serviceable vehicle for about £200 or so more???? This way you pays the money and get a car you can instantly drive. How long has the head gasket been blown? how badly did it blow? was the car driven regardless and over heated? how long were the fluids mixing? all these questions you can never be sure of so you have to expect the worse in such cases.

No old car is ever going to be 100% mint as people won't spend the money on them. Yes you will find clean cars, but mint? no, not unless a hefty price tag is attached to it.

Mine is something you'd class as mint, where I have overhauled pretty much everything including engine sensors and every rubebr suspension bush, cooling system, new window seal rubbers etc just for the sake of doing it/prevention. Each service is a minimum Inspection I as per schedule + extras I like to have done at approx 4,000mile intervals. Yes it was costly, but the number of slight improvements have made my car exactly as it was when new. For example, many people are advertising Supra TT's as mint, do you think they'll have had all the engine sensors replaced, injectors stripped & cleaned with new seals, new valve stem seals, every suspension component replaced etc to snure the car is exactly as it would have been when new? NO!

Please don't kid yourself into thinking most cars are 'mint'.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok what u lot think of this all parts that are broke have replacments parts all i would need to do is fit it myself... be good i guess to make as a prodject :) but i not sure as before i buy anything i will ask for your lots advice.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Am I missing something here.... you can get perfectly serviceable 328i's, inlcuding sport models for £1500-£2K with ease - why a damaged vehicle :confused

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i wish i had that unfortunatly uless i sell the 318i first i only 1,200..
so trying to find one cheap as possible.. plus i'm being "child like" about it as i just want it now! lol
i'll try to act a bit grown up n wait till theres a good one i can afford:thumbsup

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.