BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been drivning my BMW for about 2 weeks now. since then i have had to change the Rocker Cover Gasket, my engine light has come on, gone off, so have had to have the dignostics done twice, both times of which no one has given a staright answer, the specalist had no clue and the local garage claims it was an electical fault and reset it as he could not find any fault codes.

I like the drive of my 330i sport but now i have this preception that the car is so light and delicate and just waiting for something to go wrong...also looking at other posts here its quite depressing as some people are really (so far) worse of then me and are spending a sh^te load of £££!!!!

At the moment am sorry to say i miss my GOLF GTI 1.8T which i had for 3.5 years and never have me any trouble also sat on a much higher mileage 104k VS 72k on the Bimmer!

How do people feel about theirs cars? Lets have some good stories and news...:frown

·
Platinum BFuk Member
356 Posts
People tend to post in the model specific threads with problems that they are having so reading through these threads you are going to see a lot of sad stories of poorly cars. Just think how many owners are not posting problems. I've had a couple of issues with mine which have now been fixed and not cost that much - not enough to dent the pleasure I get from my car - I've only had mine just over a month - it's very high mileage but at the moment I'm loving it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
People tend to post in the model specific threads with problems that they are having so reading through these threads you are going to see a lot of sad stories of poorly cars. Just think how many owners are not posting problems. I've had a couple of issues with mine which have now been fixed and not cost that much - not enough to dent the pleasure I get from my car - I've only had mine just over a month - it's very high mileage but at the moment I'm loving it.
Fair point, just nice to hear things like that! Dont get me wrong, when it works it reallyworks! Just dont want it to cost me ££££ for pleasure!

by the way what would u classfiy as very high mileage? :)

·
Registered
5,469 Posts
as said,nobody posts to say how well their car is running lol.
for the record,i love my car and can see me keeping it for a fair while.
even when my front bushes were shot and it wandered like a drunk trying to find a cab rank i loved it :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How much a year do you reckon on 'average' its costs to run and maintain a 330i?

maybe we should then from time to time write posts saying how much we love our cars! :D

·
Registered
753 Posts
Running costs is an intresting topic. just the other day i read in the paper its now over a pound a mile on the train and how some guy was was spending £98 a month to get to work and back. I worked my fuel, tax, insurance, and m.o.t. cost per month and it was £78:hihi. Iknow its not a 3l but my old e46 320ci had 98k on the clock and t never cost me much bar servicing, tyres and a set of coil springs as one of my rears went weak.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
356 Posts
Fair point, just nice to hear things like that! Dont get me wrong, when it works it reallyworks! Just dont want it to cost me ££££ for pleasure!

by the way what would u classfiy as very high mileage? :)
155000 when I bought it a month ago - the only cost I've had so far is due to one of the brake calipers seizing.

it has loads of service history and looks like it has been well looked after so hopefully the high mileage shouldn't be a problem - just worried about all these tales of swirlflap woe at the moment and thinking of removing them.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
also looking at other posts here its quite depressing as some people are really (so far) worse of then me and are spending a sh^te load of £££!!!!

I understand what you mean here. However, you have to keep an open mind when browsing on car forums such as this. This is such a helpful and well run forum that it has become hugely popular, hence, many people who are having problems with their cars will come here to find a possible solution. That means that it can appear as if the cars have loads of faults. If you go on any car forum for any make you will get the same impression. As mentioned above, people post because they have a fault and those whose car is running fine are out enjoying them.
Also, it's quite common to have to have a couple of things done when you get a new car as a lot depends on the previous owners and how well they maintained the car.
I'm sure once you sort out the initial niggles it should be fine:thumbsup

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I will admit, in my 12 year driving experience, regardless of what BMW i have had, they have all required lots of TLC, in terms of strict servicing, requesting extra work to be done that I now are common faults etc and preventative measures. With this, they have always ran very well as I know that BMW.

The plus side is that parts, are never too expensive or problematic to get hold of. They are also not too bad to work on, relatively simple.

However the reason I like and will continue to buy BMWs is that as mentioned, they are easy enough to maintain and work on but very unique to them (I'm talking about sporty 6cyl cars and M cars here) is a precision chassis feel, combined with decent engine's they come into their own as a package out of teh box for when you're in the mood to get a swift drive under go.

However the best cars I have had for robustness are a string of Toyotas. Really drove these hard, even from cold, cruised fron London > Notts at a prertty consistent 135-165mph almost every weekend and the only thing they needed was routine servicing. However, too keep the handling in good shape, things like control arms (had to be bought complete as I could not get the bushes separate) ended up being very costly as more often than not it was dealer only parts ..... Japanese parts ARE extortionate!

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you think about it, it's not that much to run a luxury car compared to the likes of cars like Jags etc. If you look after your car with regular maintenace, then it will give you lots of pleasure driving. Ok, factor in the costs of sensors that give up from time to time, but surely it's a problem for every different car manuacturer right? For instance, a friend of mine had a lambda sensor failure on his 5yr old Honda Accord, cost of probe...£170. Now that for a car not in the league of a BMW, probably costs more to maintain. Just my 2 cents :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
I reckon they are great - sure they go wrong but not usually in a big way - there are lots and lots of high milers out there running very well and not many (if any) rusty ones - and you cant say that about all the prestige German makes. They are not as reliable as a Toyota which in my experience do not go wrong ever (just my personal exoereince) - but they are bland and no where near as nice to drive.
When the e46 does go wrong there is plenty of on line advice and lots of indis know how to mend them so no need to keep going to the main stealer.
All in all 9/10.

·
Banned
576 Posts
Wow what a loaded question. Ask if this this has been done. Have the brake disk rotors been changed due to minimum thickness and consequently pads and fluid? Has the expansion tank, top hosde, and thermostat been changed. Has the g'box, diff, and p/s fluids been changed? What is the condition of the engine driive belts? have the ball joints been replaced and the radius arm bushes. And so much more. Ask the questions

1 - 13 of 13 Posts