BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My life! Having just replaced my power steering rack, which was leaking in to my boots, i'm still getting an iregular single knock from the front o/s wheel.
I was sure the knock was one of my boots as the end was moving back and forth on the track rods passed the divet they usually sit and and pressumed that was making the knock.
It still remains! :mad So on looking again I found the wire guard was missing that forms the outer layer of the 3 wires going to the wheel and they were all hanging freely not in their holders, hooray I thought it's just one of them catching - so have cable tied them together and put them back in their holders. Still have the knock!
The car only really makes the knock when steering, so had semi ruled out the shock absorber. Now on closer inspection it looks as if the rubber at the base of the shock tower is raised and poking out (say 1/5 of it) so do you think this is my knock?
If so im getting a bit suspicious, as now after my Scotthall service not only did it come out with a leaking power steering rack, but my shock rubbers popped out a wee bit. Am i paranoid thinking someones hit a kerb test driving it? Or is it down to the fact she's 13 years old and I drive it like a beast on acid understeering it into roundabouts on a regular lol!
Anyway none of that matters, i've a knock to eliminate.. Help and advise please chaps? Time for some proper shocks and strut brace? Or just new rubber bottom bits?

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Have you tried wobbling the antiroll bar links up and down to check for play? Also, while up on stands,wobble the road wheel from side to side , is there any play?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's just come out of 3 services lol and 2 of them we're in a stealership. Have had new wishbone set, new rubber mounts on control arms, replaced both thrust rods front stabiliser, new power steering rack, rack ends, and a full tracking geometry set-up..
So it's all pretty much as straight as with zero play.

·
Registered
97 Posts
double check all the bolts etc are tight enough, Even after i fitted new wishbones and drop links i had a terrible knock only to realise the bracket on the drop link connecting to the wishbone was slightly lose. The bracket should be tight enough so it cant really move, any play in it an it will sound horrible. Hope you get it sorted

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes i guess it does, slightly less noise than cornering though?
garage said my rear 'somethinks' were out, but why then a knock at the front...
is only a single knock also..

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
If it does it over small bumps then I would try and replicate it down a long driveway or car park etc, set up a piece of wood or similar and have a friend drive over it slowly and see if it makes the noise while you go along side with the car, I've used this to good effect before and pin pointed it to a area to investigate.

We used to do it on a pit also at my old job, surprised I've got hair left! :hihi

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
If it only does it once when cornering then it sounds like something is sliding:confused

If you corner hard one way then hard another does it knock both ways?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
that's the thing it's not all the time at all?
the lower rubber on the o/s front shock appears to be poking out slightly in one place.
dont like the sound of a possible rip in the floor!!!
will check all of the above and report back

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
dont like the sound of a possible rip in the floor!!!
Don't panic:rofl It could be as daft as the exhaust knocking the underside of the vehicle.

I would have everything on the suspension checked over starting at the front and working back.:thumbsup

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yup, she's in tomo morning 07:45 4th time this month...
man she's gona be lush though after all this, think of all the goodies i could've bought instead, though not much point if it's bangin and clonkin whilst looking cool!!!
want some of those M3 motorsport wheels off the e36 - easily my fav as is a classic look :) that or multispokes like my old tsw pace's that i had on my old v-dub - oz super turismo style

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
right im off to the garage, will report back my findings.
semi sure it's the shock now, has been increasing the knocking over bumps.
though sure the garage will find some other bits to do lol!
A20 RYM yeah i like them wheels, and was looking at the pictures sections the other day at your interior, unbelievably sweet white - there's no end to your custom work!!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
think it's my bearings on the top of the struts... 5th service this month and £1800!!! one more to go lol...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts