BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I've just finished Uni and i've decided to treat myself. I've put down a deposit and I can't wait to pay off the full amount in a couple of weeks.

It's an E36 M3 EVO, it's covered 74 000 miles. It's got a blowing exhuast and a small chip in the windscreen other than that it's in good condition. Nice and standard.

Pics care of Autotrader

I was toying between this and a 944 S2 but in the end I decided to go with the M3 :)

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I was looking at that on Autotrader, had been following it for several weeks half heartedly!

Sounds like a nice car with the full kit :thumbsup

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been looking for a few weeks and wanted to view it but wasn't sure where Langford was. I'd been putting in my university postcode as a reference for the search facility it said 80 miles away. I then looked up the town on multimap and saw that it was about 2 miles away from where i'm currently working. So on my lunch break I popped down gave it a good going over and decided to go for it. Was there anything in particular that was putting you off?

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I've been looking for a few weeks and wanted to view it but wasn't sure where Langford was. I'd been putting in my university postcode as a reference for the search facility it said 80 miles away. I then looked up the town on multimap and saw that it was about 2 miles away from where i'm currently working. So on my lunch break I popped down gave it a good going over and decided to go for it. Was there anything in particular that was putting you off?
There's nothing that put me off ....... its just that i don't want a manual, and if I bought an E36 M3, I'd just be buying one, for the sake of buying one and end up storing it and using it as an occasional company demo vehicle :sarcastic

Really I want to replace my 328i with an automatic, I don't trust the SMG BMW gearboxes so after a bit of thought, this ruled out the E36 & E46 M3's. I'm realistically looking at a Merc E55K AMG, which also means that my nearing requirements for a 4 door car will also be taken care off.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah right, that's fair enough. I'd been warned away from the SMG boxes as well. An E55K would no doubt fill any gap formed by the lack of an M3.....and then some.

·
Bimmerforums Central
8,030 Posts
Bloody hell :rofl
I ended university with a sack load of debts and a masters degree :lol
It turned out to be pretty useless and I had a struggle paying the debt off...so hats off to you for buying an Evo however youve managed it :confused

Great looking car and E36 M3 are one of my all time favourite owned cars...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, i'm currently in around £9k of debt through loans etc for the 3 year course. Fortunately my parents are helping out with the course fee cost for the MSc as well as the accomodation so i'm very fortunate in that respect. I do plan on paying them back one day. I've got some savings which i'll use for living expenses this year. I'm working for 7 weeks this summer to try and finance the car. The pay is good, the 70 hour weeks, not so. I've managed to get the car for £3700 so i'm happy enough with that.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Don't know where all these kids are comming from going to uni/finishing uni in the likes of M3's! We had to walk lol!

·
Bimmerforums Central
8,030 Posts
Well, i'm currently in around £9k of debt through loans etc for the 3 year course. Fortunately my parents are helping out with the course fee cost for the MSc as well as the accomodation so i'm very fortunate in that respect. I do plan on paying them back one day. I've got some savings which i'll use for living expenses this year. I'm working for 7 weeks this summer to try and finance the car. The pay is good, the 70 hour weeks, not so. I've managed to get the car for £3700 so i'm happy enough with that.
£3700 :jaw-dropping

Holy bloomers!!
Is that the going rate for an M3 evo nowadays or did you get a bargain??

It seems only a minute ago that the cheapest Evo was like £8,000 (was actually 2 years or more I guess)

Sounds like youve done well mate. Enjoy it after the toil of university ;)

·
Administrator
4,166 Posts
I've managed to get the car for £3700 so i'm happy enough with that.
:jaw-dropping I am so jealous right now! As other's said when I left uni I was skint for years, lol. When I paid off the debts, it was time to take on more with buying a house!

Anyway, welcome and good luck with that stunning car.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cheers guys, I think a lot of the better EVOs start at around 5k for a coupe going up to about 10k for a nice cab. I'm pleased with this due to the low mileage (relatively). I think a lot of people were put off by the blowing exhuast and chipped windscreen. It also needs a radio. From what the salesman told me, which I shan't take as Gospal of course but he was saying that people saw the ad, came down and had a look and were put off by th efact that it's got a few problems and that it's got some fading to the outer plastic window border and doesn't look like a mint example. In all honesty though I couldn't care less because at the price I can get it all fixed fairly cheaply. There's probably profit in it if it turns out I can't afford to run it.

·
Bimmerforums Central
8,030 Posts
Cheers guys, I think a lot of the better EVOs start at around 5k for a coupe going up to about 10k for a nice cab. I'm pleased with this due to the low mileage (relatively). I think a lot of people were put off by the blowing exhuast and chipped windscreen. It also needs a radio. From what the salesman told me, which I shan't take as Gospal of course but he was saying that people saw the ad, came down and had a look and were put off by th efact that it's got a few problems and that it's got some fading to the outer plastic window border and doesn't look like a mint example. In all honesty though I couldn't care less because at the price I can get it all fixed fairly cheaply. There's probably profit in it if it turns out I can't afford to run it.
Like Ronnie says.
1st job should be to replace the vanos oil filter..

pence for the filter and it could prevent vanos failure in the future

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Unfortunately I won't be buying the car.

I did a HPI check (stupidly after putting down a deposit)

In 1999 it had covered 65 000 miles

In 2005 it had covered 100 000

In 2006 it was down to 60 000

In May this year it had done 113 000

Now it's being sold at 74 000

I rang up BMW service history and it was in a garage in 2000 with 84 000.

Basically a bit pissed off with the dealer as they clearly knew what they were doing and they are being complete twats with my deposit saying "we'd gladly give it back, but it's all tied up in stock" Sending trading standards an email as they've put the car back up on autotrader as having 74 000 miles.

Avoid them.

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Unfortunately I won't be buying the car.

I did a HPI check (stupidly after putting down a deposit)

In 1999 it had covered 65 000 miles

In 2005 it had covered 100 000

In 2006 it was down to 60 000

In May this year it had done 113 000

Now it's being sold at 74 000

I rang up BMW service history and it was in a garage in 2000 with 84 000.

Basically a bit pissed off with the dealer as they clearly knew what they were doing and they are being complete twats with my deposit saying "we'd gladly give it back, but it's all tied up in stock" Sending trading standards an email as they've put the car back up on autotrader as having 74 000 miles.

Langford motor company A.K.A Brooklands Motors.

Avoid them.

Sorry to hear your news, i'm sure trading standards are going to love this one:hihi

Thanks for making the forum aware of the Company:thumbsup

Hope you get your deposit back, how much if you don't mind me asking? You could always send the boys in to inflict damage to stock to the equivelant you're owed:rofl PS I'm not serious... honest:shifty:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I hope trading standards will take a keen view as well. I'm giving them till Friday to come up with the goods. They said they'd give me the money when they sell a car. So far it's been 7 days and they haven't sold one. Clearly they think I was born yesterday. I'm confident of getting my money back, it's just the route i'll have to take to achieve that goal.

I'm owed £500. I'm not a violent person, that's just not my ethos. There are however plenty of avenues avaliable.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Winds me up when dealers think they can still sell a clocked motor.:mad
Were not in the 80s anymore:shifty:
It gives all the other dealers a bad name.,had a look at the M3 shame as it looks a nice motor.you will probably find its near the 150k mark
It could of been worse,you could have paid the full amount then found out:eek
Remember, if it sounds to good to be true,,the chances are, you will be buying a lemon:jaw-dropping

I feel sure you will get your money back,let us know how you get on;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts