BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondered folks thoughts on this like.

Folk keep telling me to keep up with the times and get on it but i dont know much about it.

The boys in the work say its safe enough but other folk, one of my brother n laws especially, say it not very safe.

I woudnt mind getting on it as sometimes its hard to keep track of payments coming off etc and im forever at the hole in the wall for a mini statement.

Whats your opinion on that, any hassle with it?

Cheers, watty

·
Banned
1,871 Posts
I too am a relatively new user - if anything the complicated login (which in my mind makes it safer) is a right pain!

The offset is the ability to immediately pay people, bills etc or cancel DD/SOs to retailers etc.

There is a risk, but I don't believe it's high and have never met anyone who's been fleeced.

·
Registered
781 Posts
It's safe providing you yourself are safe.

i.e.

be sure your computer anti virus is always up to date,
do regular virus sweeps,
don't load unknown software on to your PC
Don't leave youself logged onto it when you've finished
Don't use it from unknown PC's such as internet cafes
Don't give anyone you don't know and trust unsupervised access to your PC.

Oh and the latest trend is mobile banking from smart phones, this I would avoid like the plague.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Aye it does sound handy.

When i was looking at doing it this morning the bank wanted me to phone and answer some questions, then they would drop me a line with a password and a 4 digit number, then i would have to go back online with the numbers etc...

Just thought that was a bit of a hassle but like you said Neal i suppose that makes it more secure...

Some folk were saying never to do online banking from a laptop top though. Not that ive got one but was thinking about one soon.

Suppose that makes sense as youd be wireless and the dodgers could tap into what your doing?

·
Banned
1,871 Posts
Aye it does sound handy.

When i was looking at doing it this morning the bank wanted me to phone and answer some questions, then they would drop me a line with a password and a 4 digit number, then i would have to go back online with the numbers etc...

Just thought that was a bit of a hassle but like you said Neal i suppose that makes it more secure...

Some folk were saying never to do online banking from a laptop top though. Not that ive got one but was thinking about one soon.

Suppose that makes sense as youd be wireless and the dodgers could tap into what your doing?
In theory - yes, hence Vista's view about mobile devices too. I use my desktop PC out of habit but have a user name, password, 'grid' thing where I have to enter random letters/numbers etc before I can get in. Good one I'm in though and again - as per Vista - I log out immediately and have never used an internet cafe!

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
i tinternet bank but i remote in to a secure IP and passworded server machine upstairs wirelessly via the laptop,and the server machine is modem hard wired still..

so im wireless but technically still wireless secure, nobody gets on my network or chomps on my broadband..

·
Diamond BFuk Member
1,213 Posts
I've been using internet banking for almost 20 years without a problem couldn't live with out it now. It's as safe as you make it, the people who get fleeced are normally the same type that would give out all their details to anyone who stopped them on the street. Just use common sense. Wireless is secure if you change the WPA to WEP security.

·
Administrator
4,203 Posts
Potentially the traffic could be snooped if this way. If your wifi is setup correctly it's encrytped between your PC and router, if this was broke it's still encrypted between your laptop and the web server.

My view is that it's safe enough, just never click on a link from an email you get even if it looks like it's coming from your bank.

Ian

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've been using internet banking for almost 20 years without a problem couldn't live with out it now. It's as safe as you make it, the people who get fleeced are normally the same type that would give out all their details to anyone who stopped them on the street. Just use common sense. Wireless is secure if you change the WPA to WEP security.
I think you mean "Change the WEP to WPA security" :D

I've been internet banking for years and never had a problem. Conversely I've had my credit card scanned twice and money taken out of my account so I would say internet banking is completely safe....provided you are as was said above safe!

WPA on your wireless and make sure it is a good password containing upper and lower letters and numbers, this makes it almost impossible to hack using a dictionary attack.

If you really want to be safe then get yourself an old laptop that runs XP and stick Ubuntu on it instead. As easy to use as XP but without the worry about virus's. Then use it for internet banking/online ordering and use your Windows pc for everything else.

·
Registered
236 Posts
The main danger is if you're not security savvy and you end up with a key logger on your machine. This is the usual way of farming your login details.

Best way round to safeguard against that (other than making sure no key loggers get onto your machine in the first place) is to copy the characters of your login details from a random document and paste each character into notepad or similar until you have pasted all of them to make up your login. When you go to use your online banking, instead of typing in the details, you just go to your notepad and copy and paste them in which then protects from any key loggers you may have on your machine.

The grid thing that Neal speaks of essentially works in the same way but few banks use it.
:thumbsup

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
i use internet banking all the time and bank with nationwide so its pretty damn secure for me and my security is kaspersky using the virtual keyboard and never leave my passwords for anything on it.if people used there nogin and thought about what they do people wouldnt get fleeced so much and internet banking is the future for everyone whether they agree with it or not

·
Registered
11 Posts
Internet banking is safe, but you want to watch out for those clone sites. Easy to spot when there is no HTTPS and they ask for private details even your bank doesn't ask for.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just phoned the bank just now and ill have everything i need through the post to get started in 3/5 days.

Thanks for all the advice and tips guys, appreciated:)

·
Premium Member
3,447 Posts
It's as safe as the network or PC you are on is.

If you're on a wireless network at home that isn't secured (preferably WPA or WPA2 not just WEP) then I wouldn't risk it, anyone could be on your network snooping keystrokes, passwords etc.

If the above is irrelevant, then as stated already, providing you go direct to the bank's website, e.g. www.lloydstsb.com and don't click ANY links in emails that look like they're from your bank then you should be OK.

Double check, that when you're putting in your login details, e.g. Account Number, Password etc, that in the address bar at the top, it has an s in it after the "http", so you know it's a secure page, e.g https://login.yourbank.com

But you also need to keep upto date with Anti-Virus, and not just having it installed but running scans reasonably regularly - all it takes is a virus with a keylogger and someone can have the information they need.

- Never logon to your bank account in a public wifi spot such as StarBucks, McDonalds, BTOpenZone etc (these may claim to be secure but I really wouldn't risk it)
- Never logon to your bank account if you've connected to a wireless network that isn't secured - for example, if you're out and about and your laptop's connected to a network you don't recognise, don't check your bank account online
- If using wireless, or you have a wireless network at home, make sure its secure (WPA2 is better than WPA, WPA is better than WEP)
- Only go direct to a bank's website - never click a link in an email even if it looks exactly like a real email from your bank
- Make sure you have decent upto date Anti-Virus, e.g. Nod32, AVG, Norton, McAfee, Kaspersky, Avast etc
- Make sure if you have Windows XP/Vista/7 that it's got latest updates (vulnerability in Windows can lead to the thread of your system being exploited)
- Ensure the site address in the address bar at the top starts with "https" when entering logon information and looking at your account.
- Ensure you log off the bank's site properly (to avoid leaving an open session temporarily)
- Don't whatever you do, save passwords or logon information to your bank on your PC.

Some of the above is overkill, and I've rambled on a bit, but better to be safe than sorry :thumbsup

·
Platinum BFuk Member
760 Posts
Also not a bad idea to download 'Raport' which is a secure software designed for internet banking that runs between your browser and the website (I think), your online bank may ask you if you want this upon signing in. I owuld recommend this, it also adds extra security when online in general too. :thumbsup

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's as safe as the network or PC you are on is.

If you're on a wireless network at home that isn't secured (preferably WPA or WPA2 not just WEP) then I wouldn't risk it, anyone could be on your network snooping keystrokes, passwords etc.

If the above is irrelevant, then as stated already, providing you go direct to the bank's website, e.g. www.lloydstsb.com and don't click ANY links in emails that look like they're from your bank then you should be OK.

Double check, that when you're putting in your login details, e.g. Account Number, Password etc, that in the address bar at the top, it has an s in it after the "http", so you know it's a secure page, e.g https://login.yourbank.com

But you also need to keep upto date with Anti-Virus, and not just having it installed but running scans reasonably regularly - all it takes is a virus with a keylogger and someone can have the information they need.

- Never logon to your bank account in a public wifi spot such as StarBucks, McDonalds, BTOpenZone etc (these may claim to be secure but I really wouldn't risk it)
- Never logon to your bank account if you've connected to a wireless network that isn't secured - for example, if you're out and about and your laptop's connected to a network you don't recognise, don't check your bank account online
- If using wireless, or you have a wireless network at home, make sure its secure (WPA2 is better than WPA, WPA is better than WEP)
- Only go direct to a bank's website - never click a link in an email even if it looks exactly like a real email from your bank
- Make sure you have decent upto date Anti-Virus, e.g. Nod32, AVG, Norton, McAfee, Kaspersky, Avast etc
- Make sure if you have Windows XP/Vista/7 that it's got latest updates (vulnerability in Windows can lead to the thread of your system being exploited)
- Ensure the site address in the address bar at the top starts with "https" when entering logon information and looking at your account.
- Ensure you log off the bank's site properly (to avoid leaving an open session temporarily)
- Don't whatever you do, save passwords or logon information to your bank on your PC.

Some of the above is overkill, and I've rambled on a bit, but better to be safe than sorry :thumbsup
Cheers Joe:thumbsup

After that last carry on with the Trojans etc, 300 odd infected files, its going good and the bloke has put on Avast antivirus. Seems ok and every time i switch on it says its updating then says its secure, not that i know much about PCs but all seems good.:)

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
ive surfed on a neighbours connection for hours and the dumb F-ck hasn't a clue..i dont like him anyway and.he can't get on mine tho haw haw...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts