BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

I have a 2008 123D Coupe that has an odd electrical fault. While driving alone, the stereo will turn off and back on, at the same time the instrument cluster does what looks like a full reset. This seems to happen completely at random. At one point all the electrics went off, stereo, aircon, cluster, indicators did not work. There are no error lights DTC etc. Everything else works fine when this happens, car still drives. The battery and connections are all ok.

I'm hoping someone has had this before or has heard of this issue. Any assistance would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
The battery connections might be ok but there's a main feed to the back of the main fuse box that can sometime work loose, apparently that is - been reported several times on here, have a looksee around.

Good Luck :)

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
It's been the subject of several trails on here, sometimes it's better to google from outside and that'll find things quicker.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did google it!!! Came back with nothing about the feed to the fusebox but loads about running a live feed from the fusebox. Assumptions tend to be bad form. I have spent a week searching on this issue before posting.

·
Registered
772 Posts
You need to get fault codes read.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Jake13

I have had the codes read, see below, not sure where to go from here.

9CAC Brake-light switch faulty
FRM One terminal 15 missing
Headlight beam light control potentiometer defective
Reversing light left faulty
Low beam right faulty
low beam left faulty
A54 Raw data fluid level fuel tank 0x349
A3AD engine data 0x1D0 faulty receiver KOMBI
A3BC Instrument cluster communication fault
C907 K CAN communication fault
5E38 DSC sensor rotation rate plasibility
D904 CAS K-CAN wire fault.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I'm not familiar with 1-series, however looks like an electrical problem as @ thanatoid pointed out. Have a look at BMW Parts Catalog under vehicle electrical systems to find out fuse box (power distributor) and also TIS for location and how to remove the unit. You are looking for corrosion, burnt connection etc.

>Document > MR> the E87 > General electrical> Removing and installing / replacing fuse box in the passenger compartment (from 03/2007)

Google Translate

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BTW guys, the issue turned out to be a flooded parking censor control unit, removed this and all was well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts