BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Very well known issue, it's all over the internet and has been for years. It's the single biggest downside to the N62 IMHO, but on the flipside it does mean the cars are dirt cheap to buy ;)

·
Registered
962 Posts
Well you can let us know in a year! :D

By the way, I was coming back from Bristol last Sunday, and saw a maroon six series, I wonder if it was you?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi
No would not have been me I was in Tewksbury and the garage queen 6 er was snuggled up in my garage.

I don t believe the seals go in 50k I will report back when mine hits 50 it would of had fdsh but if they do go I will be mailing every level of BMW right to the top

Any other 645 users had them go at this ridiculous low miles?

·
Registered
962 Posts
Quite a rare car / colour!

I also saw an E38 7 series bomb it past a column of traffic coming the other way, didn't half shift for a big car :thumbsup

·
Registered
196 Posts
Why is it so unbelievable that the seals can go at 50k? It's happened, not to a lot of cars but it has happened, bearing in mind the engine was used in the X5 and 7 series as well so plenty of them out there. Don't worry too much, things like that happen, mine lasted until 110k so it's very hit and miss really. Just keep an eye on smoking when hot at idle and your oil level, but otherwise enjoy the car :)

It's a great car, with true pace and a great chassis. I'm really enjoying mine still, only 10 months in.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why do I find it unbelievable ?

50k on a well engineered £70,000 + German piece of kit, understandable on a L reg Datsun sunny .
But yours at 110 is more like it but 50k on a fdsh car, yes I find it difficult to believe more like a myth

Did you get yours repaired?

·
Registered
196 Posts
I wonder if short runs have anything to do with it? Especially in the X5, plenty would've been used for the school run or general city life (yes, massive stereotype, I apologise!) and I can't see that helping matters. It takes a long time to get the 4.4 up to temp, and until then the burn isn't going to be great. Add to that the fact that the engine can run on cheap fuel ok and that could start to add up.

But yeah, following the basics like servicing regularly, using 97+ and making sure that you take trips that get the engine warm can only help matters.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I wonder if short runs have anything to do with it? Especially in the X5, plenty would've been used for the school run or general city life (yes, massive stereotype, I apologise!) and I can't see that helping matters. It takes a long time to get the 4.4 up to temp, and until then the burn isn't going to be great. Add to that the fact that the engine can run on cheap fuel ok and that could start to add up.

But yeah, following the basics like servicing regularly, using 97+ and making sure that you take trips that get the engine warm can only help matters.
Mine has been serviced every year since it was born, most mileage done in year was about 12k miles. It hasn't started drinking much oil yet or any white smoke at 75k but it is being used quite frequently for short journeys (it's the car I don't mind leaving in the station car park with the cramped spaces!). I do notice the engine sounds very tappy if it hasn't had a good run and just been doing short journeys. Last few years it's only done 2-4k a year in between services.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts