·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there guys will be buying a 318is already have the car in mind
done the insurance quotes on this car
considering im 18 and on mums insurance its coming out at about £2000
this is alot considering ive only ever paid most of £1400

am i missing something here or what tricks can be dun to lower the insurance ??.

any help would be a great help or sites to use?.

many thanks

Conor

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry dont want to sound dodgy there,
i mean lile if im the main driver or my mum etc not changing job roles etc nothing like that

·
Administrator
4,203 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi there, I am/was in a similar situation with my M3 - I am 18 and won't insure it till Im 20, but here are some things you can do to help lower the premium:

Take it as 3rdF&T, but this won't cover you if you crash, this takes the premium on my M down by about £6000!!!! But do so at your own risk...

Take your mum on as a named driver, but have you as the policy holder - you get the NCD bonus.

Be realistic with estimate milage, do you commute in it? Or do you use it late at night? Some quotes ask this...

Do you have access to another car? Often by being insured on another car, this could lower premiums for you.

Add these things up and you could shave off a large amount on insurance, like I have done, somewhere in the region of £8600!

Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
excellent help there guys ill have a look now on admiral

should i stay clear of price comparison websites or use them ?.

cheers for all your help :)

·
Registered
208 Posts
if i remember right the 318is is a group 13 insurance and sounds about right for your age.

I got my first punto gt turbo at 18 and that was a group 14 just for a 1.4 and that was costing me around the 2k mark.

again if i am right even having your mum ect on your policy they still look at whos the highist risk which would be you.

try comfused and other brokers.

also a good site to see what insurence group your car is in and some info

http://www.wisebuyers.co.uk/

hope this helps alittle and if i am wrong hopefully someone can shed some more light

·
Registered
3 Posts
youve saved 8600 on insurance? how much was it!!! jeeeeeeeeeeeesus

Hehe, just potential quotes at the moment, but I can be insured at 20 with 3 years NCB and license for 2 years 10 months (assuming) for 3rdPF&T, SCDB, covering roughly 5k miles a year (have a Fiesta - commute in that now, but next year when that premium drops, and year after also, will go down to roughly £750). Driveway and secure factory car park and garaged/driveway in the night for first year at 20 of £3.1k (LESS than what I pay on a 1.25L Fiesta) and dropping to £2.1k at 21. Thats all assuming though.
(I have a large expendable income at the moment)

·
Registered
94 Posts
adding older drivers will bring it down,try comparison sites and change occupation around as different jobs DO affect your premium!i.e. if your an electrician change it to electronics engineer/consultant...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah just a killer really as young etc
most ive ever payed it £1400 and that was for a fiat stilo 1.8 i think that was a 12 or 13
just a massive jump to pay. ill keep cracking on for it then

·
Registered
3 Posts
yeah just a killer really as young etc
most ive ever payed it £1400 and that was for a fiat stilo 1.8 i think that was a 12 or 13
just a massive jump to pay. ill keep cracking on for it then
Yup, the extra you save will always only ever benefit you and get you closer to the car :). Same with my M, saving for it over the next 2 years so the day I hit 20, I insure it - with my AA exhaust :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeahh i know jsut trying to find some1 who will insure for under £2000 haha
And sounds great mate :).

·
Registered
3 Posts
yeahh i know jsut trying to find some1 who will insure for under £2000 haha
And sounds great mate :).
Cheers - I am assuming you have a years no claims bonus - have you tried iKube? (Think its spelt like that). They do insurance but their policy states you can't drive between 11pm and 5am because this is when most accidents happen. Ok for me, as I have no social life :hihi. But in all seriousness, it shaved £1000 off my Fiesta insurance with them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ohh really no i have not ill have a look now on that thanks :)
how would they know if i was driving at them times anyways??.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cheers - I am assuming you have a years no claims bonus - have you tried iKube? (Think its spelt like that). They do insurance but their policy states you can't drive between 11pm and 5am because this is when most accidents happen. Ok for me, as I have no social life :hihi. But in all seriousness, it shaved £1000 off my Fiesta insurance with them.

do you have to call or can you do it online??.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yeah i just read that i would be happy with that but sometimes i have to drive late at night for what ever reason they charge £100 i coudlent take that risk thanks anyway

1 - 20 of 25 Posts