BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and have made the (I'm sure you'll all agree) smart decision to buy a Z3.

I've narrowed down my choices to a 2.2 or a 2.8. I understand that the rear end was changed mid '99 and it's obvious just by looking at a Z3 which type it is. Personal preference but I prefer the newer shaped rear end.

My question is how can I tell easily whether it's a widebody? I like this look on the picture ads I've seen and it seems all 2.2's are widebody. Is this DEFINITELY correct?

I know some pre '99 2.8's were widebody but are all new rear end shaped 2.8's widebody ? it doesn't seem it from the picture ads. i'm happy to travel some distance to view one to buy but I don't want to travel half way up the country on the say so of a seller who tells me it's a widebody only to get there and find it's not (in any case the difference doesn't seem massive and I'm not sure I could tell the without 2 different cars side by side when I go to view one).

Also, if you have any advise on what to look for in terms of checking the mechanics are ok that would be appreciated. I'm confident on checking bodywork/leaks/rear floorpan under boot carpet etc but are there some 2.2 or 2.8 specific checks that'll tell me whether the engine/gearbox are good?

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
30 Posts
All 2.8 Z3's are widebody & all facelift Z3's are widebody no matter what engine size. The only narrow body Z3's are the pre facelift 1.9's
You can get early facelift 2.8's but they changed to 3.0. I think the newest 2.8 is around W reg
Check out www.zroadster.net & www.zroadster.org for full information on what to look for when buying

Heath on Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and have made the (I'm sure you'll all agree) smart decision to buy a Z3.

I've narrowed down my choices to a 2.2 or a 2.8. I understand that the rear end was changed mid '99 and it's obvious just by looking at a Z3 which type it is. Personal preference but I prefer the newer shaped rear end.

My question is how can I tell easily whether it's a widebody? I like this look on the picture ads I've seen and it seems all 2.2's are widebody. Is this DEFINITELY correct?

I know some pre '99 2.8's were widebody but are all new rear end shaped 2.8's widebody ? it doesn't seem it from the picture ads. i'm happy to travel some distance to view one to buy but I don't want to travel half way up the country on the say so of a seller who tells me it's a widebody only to get there and find it's not (in any case the difference doesn't seem massive and I'm not sure I could tell the without 2 different cars side by side when I go to view one).

Also, if you have any advise on what to look for in terms of checking the mechanics are ok that would be appreciated. I'm confident on checking bodywork/leaks/rear floorpan under boot carpet etc but are there some 2.2 or 2.8 specific checks that'll tell me whether the engine/gearbox are good?

Thanks in advance for your help.
this thread might help:

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f69/newbie-looking-z3-any-model-t37245/#post296214

here's a side by side comparison which shows the difference also:

HTH

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Heath; said:
Check out zroadster.net & ZRoadster.org for full information on what to look for when buying

Heath on Tapatalk
why would he need to do that when all the information he's asked for is on here?.. not sure the mods or admin on here would take kindly to you trying to drum up member numbers on other forums?..

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sorry but I wasnt trying to drum up new members on other forums I was just trying to be helpfull, I didnt check on here first to look for a guide I suppose I should have really

Heath on Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Guys, I'm a Z3 nubie. I'm buying an 2001, 2.2 Z3 in Ireland and the guy says that it has a manual roof. No button inside the car for the roof.
I thought all 2.2 z3s came with an electric roof as standard.
Does anybody out there have a manual one?
I know you can turn of the valve and make an electric one manual but he says that there is none of that?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts