BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings everyone,
By this time it starts raining again "not much" in my country, and I try to take advantage of these days to drift a bit on safe roads or remote roundabouts at night.

When I bought my e46 325I the previous owner got the M3 wheels, they are too big for my taste but I dont really have enough time to switch or sell them, so for now i'm stick with this wheels.

These are the tyre measurements:
  • Rear tyres: 255/35 R18 "Uncommon brand and measurements"
  • Front tyres: 225/40 R18 "Pirelli P Zero nero"
I changed the rear ones but the front tyres are already from the previous owner.

When I enter a roundabout "It's always a left turn", already inside I try to go as straight as possible.
Then with second gear I press the gas quick but not too agressive just enought to make the rear wheels spin,
at the same time a quick left turn to loose the rear side and counterstter to keep the car drifting.

I did th esame steps with an e90 325I with stock wheels and the car drift easily with a simple gas blip on second gear.

Here comes my problem,
When I try to turn left the car just goes straight the understeer is huge it's not that i'm turning 180º my wheel, i mean about or less than 90º,
that forces me to brake to not crash with the exterior side of the roundabout.

I tried to just keep turning on the roundabout and keep pressing the gas more and more, to try to loose the rear with inertia, but instead it just makes the 4 wheels to slide at the same time

Looks like the front tyres are not holding up at all, that worries me, because i'm going pretty slow to have that ammont of understeer, It's just not right and really dangerous for normal driving.

On wet I usually loose the front even without trying to drift.

What should I do? should I change the tyres? lower the pressure? change my camber?

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
978 Posts
Same here when wet understeer en front will move. Sometimes it frighten me when not expected.

But I have choosen during alignment for better steering. So less rubber contact at front.

Also I have pu bushes at front, so more sensitive for understeer.

·
Registered
978 Posts
So maybe align to toe in?

Also with 17 and thinner cheap chinese tires loose more grip at front. Now on 16 with good rain tire better.

Yes you can try out front pressure, cheap try out.

·
Registered
978 Posts
But I think Bmw design to have understeer. Last winter on worn out summer tires, oversteer occurred. Man you get tired to get car straight again...

·
Registered
327 Posts
I would say the understeer issue is almost entirely down to the wheels/tyres you have on the car.
My old E36 325i, which has the same power and slightly less weight than the E46 325i was VERY easy to drift in the wet, to the point it would do it without trying if you went in to a turn too quick!
The handling balance was very neutral, no understeer to speak of. However it was on the factory standard 205s with Pirellis all round.

Mismatched tyres front to rear can make a huge difference to how a car handles, especially in wet and cold conditions, where the differing rubber compounds and softness can be clearly felt.
The dimensions can make a difference too. The M3 needs 255s at the back because it has 150bhp more, not to mention an LSD and unique suspension setup.
On a 325i which is not overly powerful I would definitely go for a square set up, like 205s or maybe 225s all round and don't fit different tyre brands/types between the axles as that can make for some very strange/dangerous handling quirks. Getting the tracking done can improve turn in and sharpness (assuming it was out before) but it wouldn't have much effect on mechanical grip levels. Tyres are where you really want to spend the money when it comes to how a car grips and handles.

·
Registered
978 Posts
If you want to reduce understeer you need bigger tires at front.

And for drifting less grip at rear so smaller tires. Also not to forget, maximum turning radius as much as possible.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts