BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, just joined after spending hour searching for answers on the world wide web :)

My problem is I bought a car( 2000 318ci coupe) from Japan and the radio frequency is between 70-89 FM so basically I cant tune the stations I would like....

I would like to replace the HU with a BMW business CD/radio with perhaps an ipod connection??? if possible ....

I cant seem to find a place to buy one apart from ebay or BMW dealer ...

Is there anyway I could fix my current HU to receive 80 - 107 FM or a trustworthy place to get a CD/radio HU compatible with my model ?

I would also consider a non BMW stereo unit if it was a close orange glow as my beemer dash is ????

Thanks in advance

Wes

·
Registered
470 Posts
What you need is what is known as an expander - if you search the Japanese sports performance sites you will find out how to get hold of one - a lot of the Japanese cars imported (Skyline/Evo/Subaru) that come with their stereos and need to have expanders fitted to them so they can be used for FM reception in europe. They are not expensive from memory.

·
Registered
880 Posts
You can change the radio region code.

To access the service menu in the BMW Business Radio:
- turn the radio off, then on again
- press and hold M for 10 seconds
- display will show SN#nnnnnnnn
- press +/- to access settings
- press 1-6 to change settings

Settings I know of are:
SN - serial number
SV - software version
signal strength level
GAL - speed sensitive loudness
DSP - n/a
TP-V - traffic program volume (non-USA feature)
display check
tuner area selection
AF - alternative frequency (non-USA feature)

Cycle power to exit service mode.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can change the radio region code.

To access the service menu in the BMW Business Radio:
- turn the radio off, then on again
- press and hold M for 10 seconds
- display will show SN#nnnnnnnn
- press +/- to access settings
- press 1-6 to change settings

Settings I know of are:
SN - serial number
SV - software version
signal strength level
GAL - speed sensitive loudness
DSP - n/a
TP-V - traffic program volume (non-USA feature) Did not appear
display check
tuner area selection
AF - alternative frequency (non-USA feature) Did no appear

Cycle power to exit service mode.
I tried that Richard but no luck? It worked, that is I accessed the service menu but it didn't give me the TPV AF option :(

after GAL there was an option to let me adjust the frequency but only between the Japan range.

Thanks for you help .... it was very helpful ... is it because the fact of it it's a japanese version that the AF option was not there??

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What you need is what is known as an expander - if you search the Japanese sports performance sites you will find out how to get hold of one - a lot of the Japanese cars imported (Skyline/Evo/Subaru) that come with their stereos and need to have expanders fitted to them so they can be used for FM reception in europe. They are not expensive from memory.
Thanks MTec .... Its about £15 and looks like a simple option. I have a tape thingy that connects to the audio jack on my ipod that way so I suppose it pehaps look like my only option financially :)

thanks for your help ....

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts

Thanks MTec .... Its about £15 and looks like a simple option. I have a tape thingy that connects to the audio jack on my ipod that way so I suppose it pehaps look like my only option financially :)

thanks for your help ....
I fitted hundreds of these when I was at the import centre:hihi

·
Registered
880 Posts
I tried that Richard but no luck? It worked, that is I accessed the service menu but it didn't give me the TPV AF option :(

after GAL there was an option to let me adjust the frequency but only between the Japan range.

Thanks for you help .... it was very helpful ... is it because the fact of it it's a japanese version that the AF option was not there??
Interesting, I thought the Business head units were universal, could you not change the region to Europe?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just a thought, I think you might scroll through the regions using the 1 and 2 keys, 1 = Prev, 2 = Next.
Afraid not Richard ... that option is not there ... I have taken some pics to show the available options ... this is all that is available to me :confused

Option 1

Option 2

Option 3

Option 4

Option 5

Option 6

It doesn't look to me that its possible to change the region????

Thanks

Wes

1 - 10 of 10 Posts