BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
you need to decide what sort of improvement you want and how much you are willing to spend before anyone can give you advice, if its more power then an engine swap is the more realistic option, 2.5 or 2.8 will see upto 190bhp standard for less than 1k getting that sort of power from the 1.8 will cost a hell of a lot more

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I was thinkng today a set of cams and some head work along with some tweaking, lighted flywheel and uprated clutch. Some where around 200bhp would be nice. I've also got a set of weber45 twin choke carbs laying around, I'm not sure if I'll be able to hunt down a inlet maifold? Please Help Me!

·
Registered
401 Posts
your looking to get an extra 60bhp from the engine, that is a lot of hp no matter what the funds, my honest opinion is buy a new engine, if you got a 2.8 thats 190bhp straight away, new inlet manifold, remap, exaust, induction kit etc will take you to around 230bhp depending on the donor engine and quality of parts used. that would set you back around 1k, engines are 4-500 and then the bolt on parts are around another 500, its a relativly straight swap and you would only need to source a few parts to complete it, otherwise your looking at in excess of 2k to carry out the work to the 1.8, not to mention the life span issues of the engine once tuned. another thing to bear in mind, getting past 200bhp from the 1.8 will be expensive, getting past 230 to the 2.8 isnt as bad.
bit of a recap, 1k to get 230bhp with a new engine, 2k+ to get 200

·
Registered
704 Posts
Well I was thinkng today a set of cams and some head work along with some tweaking, lighted flywheel and uprated clutch. Some where around 200bhp would be nice. I've also got a set of weber45 twin choke carbs laying around, I'm not sure if I'll be able to hunt down a inlet maifold? Please Help Me!
Out of interest (non of my business) what made youget a 318 and not a 330ci etc? Surely the work you'll end up doing with cost a lot more than the difference in the original purchase?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.